Getting rid of Windows 8

darthlinux

Baseband Member
Hi

I am trying to install Linux on my machine that came with Windows 8 pre loaded but every time I try and do this I can't seem to get the option to boot from CD, I have gone into the BIOS and changed a few setting i.e disabled fast boot and enabled legacy boot and also changed the boot sequence, but still it just boots to windows 8.

Any help would be great.

You sure the Linux disk is bootable? Try running the setup from Windows and see if it autoruns, and the setup actually works. See also if the setup runs fine and if it has an option to install Linux. Some OS installations allow that and it will restarts Windows to boot from the disk.

These are the basics before setting up the bios to boot from a CD/DVD.

I have done that and it gives me the option to install Linux or boot into Windows 8.1, when I click the linux option it rebbots and takes me back to the same screen and yes I have got the linux cd in the tray and is bootable.

Could be a bad CD or a bad tray (even though it recoginizes it in Windows).
Do you have the CD to be the first boot device in the bios?

Yes I have changed the settings in the bios

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Computer Forums mobile app

Like one of the above posters mentioned. It may be a bad burn or bad iso did you redown load and burn it as an image? Try a slower burn speed? What distro did you d/l? did you for sure d/l an iso? You didnt unpack the iso or anything right?

It was ubuntu that I downloaded I will try and burn it again, I didn't unpack the ISO I have do this a few times but first time I have tried it with my new machine.

change the boot order so linux loads first.

It's an option in your bios that you maybe having issues with... did you choose other OS on the legacy option? and what bios boot sequence options do you have.

Back
Top Bottom