Go Back   Computer Forums > General Computing > Hardware
Click Here to Login
Join Computer forums Today

Old 08-01-2009, 09:18 PM   #1
Solid State Member

Default Getting rid of clutter help computer speed?

Hi, I was wondering if deleting unused files or organizing files actually helps to speed up computer. I've read in a few places it does, but it doesn't make sense that a computer would care about your files... As long as its defragged it shouldn't matter how you organize them, right? And I know its good to do anyway, but please answer my question... I don't want tips on how to speed up my computer, because that's what other people have been replying with, lol. I specifically want to know whether cleaning up clutter and organizing files helps speed up your computer. Thanks.

Gulshan Singh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2009, 09:23 PM   #2
Omnipotent One

Send a message via AIM to Atomic Rooster Send a message via Yahoo to Atomic Rooster
Default Re: Getting rid of clutter help computer speed?

It's a good idea to clean up any unneeded apps and files. It does help speed things up a bit. Here's a nice little app that will help clean up the clutter: CCleaner

Atomic Rooster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2009, 05:45 AM   #3
Baseband Member

yea i would also have to say Ccleaner, but if you run vista, turn off aero, it just wastes recources, and index your main drive, defrag now and then, disk cleanup's good to and always scan for virus's and whatnot.
WhatsMyUserName is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2009, 07:04 AM   #4
Wizard of Wires

CCleaner
http://www.filehippo.com/download_ccleaner/

Find Junk Files
http://www.brothersoft.com/find-junk-files-119783.html

Spybot S&D
http://www.filehippo.com/download_sp...earch_destroy/

Auslogics Disk Defrag
http://www.auslogics.com/en/software/disk-defrag

All of these go hand in hand with keeping your computer running more efficiently. On the flip side of that it runs quicker than if you didn't use any of those products.

Cleaning off the useless files that Vista generates and files and software you're not using is a good thing to do. Vista likes to index every little thing you do and after a while you'll see hard drive space mysteriously starting to drop off and over all performance starting to suffer.
So the short answer is yes.
setishock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2009, 10:45 AM   #5
Solid State Member

So if I use that software, it will save me some hard drive space, but it wont increase the speed my computer accesses files, correct?
Gulshan Singh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2009, 10:58 AM   #6
In Runtime

Send a message via MSN to jikifreak

It would help speed up the access of them, yes. Because it would take less time for the HDD to have to search through the clutter.
Rosewill Conqueror|ASRock A780GXE AM2+|Phenom II X4 940@3.0Ghz Stock|Zalman 9900|8GB G.Skill DDR2 800|OCZ StealthXStream 700W|XFX Ati Raedeon 5770 1gb GDDR5 DX11|16X Samsung DVD-RW|360GB(SATA), 40GB(SATA), 160GB(SATA), 200GB(IDE) 500GB External(USB 2.0)|Windows 7 64Bit|19inch LCD Widescreen at 1400X900 Resolution via DVI|
jikifreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2009, 11:24 AM   #7
Fully Optimized

The HDD has to find files. The harder it is to find them the longer it takes. If things are neat and organized, the hd doesn't have to work as hard. Also, if there is less to sort through it won't take as long to find them. Unless you have massive amounts of junk, you probably won't notice too much by running any of these things.

jmacavali is offline   Reply With Quote