Getting Ready To Pay For This Beast... Oppinoins Wanted

Smitty2k1

Solid State Member
Hey guys, I'm going to be moving off to college next year, and my 5+ year old Gateway PC just wont cut it (Honestly, its got a 450mHz processor.) So I'm going to try my hand at building my own, how's this look for a higher-end setup?

Cooler Master Wave Master Black MID-TOWER CASE, Model "TAC-T01-EK" -RETAIL

Thermaltake W0014 Silent Purepower 480W with Black housing - Xaser Edition ATX 2-Fan Power Supply

MSI "K8N Neo4 Platinum SLI" NVIDIA nForce4 SLI Chipset Motherboard For AMD Socket 939 CPU -RETAIL

AMD Athlon 64 3500+, 2.2 GHz, 512KB L2 Cache, 64-bit Socket 939 Processor, Winchester Core - Retail

Corsair Value Select Dual Channel Kit 184 Pin 1G(512MBx2) DDR PC-3200 - Retail

SONY Black 52x32x52 Internal IDE CD-RW Drive W/ CD Maker Software, Model CRX230ED-B2, OEM

ZALMAN Copper CPU Cooler for Socket 775/478/754/939/940, Model "CNPS7700-CU" -RETAIL

EVGA nVIDIA GeForce 6600GT Video Card, 128MB GDDR3, 128-Bit, DVI/TV-Out, PCI-Express, Model "128-P2-N368-TX" -RETAIL

M-AUDIO PCI Sound Card w/ MIDI and Digital I/O, Model "Audiophile 2496" -RETAIL

The HDD is already been bought (Got a 120gig WD 8MB Buffer for $50)
All the rest of this is just shy of $1,200 at NewEgg.

Let me know what you think...

Your sound card and memory is a bit on the weak side. For the Corsair, go with the XMS Dual Channel kit instead of the Value Select. For the sound card, try the Audigy 2 Gamers Edition 7.1 Dolby DIgital, DTS card. With the money you plan on spending, might as well bump it up a bit.

Thanks for the advice on the RAM.

As for the sound card, it's quite the opposite, the M-Audio is way beyond Soundblaster in terms of quality. It may only be Stero output (All you need for music) but the MoBo has built in Soundblaster 7.1 audio that I can use for gaming/movies.

Kepp the oppinoins comin.

Doh, I forgot that particular mobo has built in soundblaster 7.1. That's the motherboard I was going to get but wasn't avaliable at the time. Which is why I ended up with a Gigabyte motherboard instead. It should have the THX and DTS capability huh?

It may and it may not. Im not concerened about it for gaming.
Another reason Im buying the M-Audio card is because it has straight L/R RCA outputs, so I can use my home theater system as the speaker setup for my computer. Seeing as I also have a DVD player, I may as well just use that for DVDs.

I would either get one 6800gt or 2x6600gt coz thats an sli mobo!!! Personall i'd go with the 6800gt and get another later!!

well only just, and eventually he can get 2x6800gt so in the long runit may b better!!

Really!!! Well it depends how much this guys gotta spend!! that gigabyte 3d1 might b an idea!!

Back
Top Bottom