Getting odd noise from CPU

ykstylez

Beta member
Hey guys. I'm getting this wierd buzzing noise from one of my fans (or so I think) in my case but I can't tell which one. Its either the big one with the big heatsink or the mini one that came with the board.

recent history on it:
-Installed game > uninstalled game > restarted computer
-started making the buzzing noise > for about 1 week ish
-buzzing noise went away
-2 days ago my hard drive made a, tick tock, tick tock noise and died.
-bought a new hard drive and now all set up
-noise is back

Sometmes the noise stops for a while, like brief while, 10-15min but it will come back.

I'm concerned as to whether the noise contributed to the death of my harddrive or not and whether my new one will be affected.

Thanks for any help!

First off, I doubt installing, or anything sofware based will change your fans unless it's some fan controll. However, not too many board can do that...

My first guess is just a wire. It's quite common for one to get in the way of a fan. Now if it's got some age on it, it could always just be ageing. Getting in there and slowing the fans down by hand is a bit dangerous, but can sometimes help you figure out which one is making noises...

I guess just check around some more... Don't forget about your power supply fan(s)

Hey thanks for quick reply.

There is no wire or dust in the fans. I've taken a good look at it and I cant figure out what is causing the sound. I'm pretty sure its not my power supply fan, when I put my ear to it, its really quiet.

Hmm...All I can think is to CAREFULLY unhook them or slow them down. Hehe, others might not suggest this, but when I was having a similar problem, I would gently press on the center of the fan to slow it down. Usally slowing it down just a little bit will be enough as most only rattle and such when they go full speed.

If you find it, they are relativily easy to replace, or you could oil it and try to get some more life out of it... Though usally once they start to wear out, there's not much you can do with them...

Hey thanks for the help. I'll give it ago tomorrow and see whats up. But the fan "shouldn't" affect the harddrive right? My computer is about 2 years old so maybe the hard drive just died out.

HD noises are usally constant or only when it's thinking. No, fans shouldn't affect it at all. Even if you have some cooler for the HD, all are still capable to run without any additional cooling.

I had a similar problem. Turned out it was the little fan on the motherboard, and I removed it. Bit dangerouis i know, but it probably wasn't cooling it down much anyway since I had other things cooling the computer.
Most motherboards now tend to use heatsinks instead of fans for this.

Back
Top Bottom