Go Back   Computer Forums > General Computing > Hardware
Click Here to Login
Join Computer forums Today

Old 09-18-2009, 12:14 AM   #1
Baseband Member

Default Getting no image from computer, just a blank screen

I'm running an HTPC using a plasma tv as monitor, connected via HDMI. It's been working perfectly since I built it 4 months ago, but all of a sudden I stopped getting an image on the tv, just a blank screen with a "no signal" message flashing. I thought it was a problem with the HDMI connection, but when I hooked up an lcd monitor via VGA, same thing, just a black screen. I know the monitor works because I tried it on my laptop.

What could be causing this? It could be that the graphics card went caput, but I doubt this as I bought it brand new 4 months ago, and have never had a problem with it before. (It's a Sapphire Radeon 4670). Could it be a virus? I've even tried booting from a Windows CD, and get the same thing. This is very frustrating because I have no way of troubleshooting without beeing able to get a picture. Is there anything I can do? Anything at all??

Edit: I know the rest of the computer is working fine, as when I load a music CD it plays it automatically--so the computer itself is running fine.

C E Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2009, 09:36 AM   #2
In Runtime

Default Re: Getting no image from computer, just a blank screen

Sounds like your graphics card bit the dust, do you have an extra graphics card you can swap out and test?

I'd give sapphire a call, they may have some troubleshooting steps to take and if that doesnt work you can setup a repair.

ASUS M4A79XTD EVO | 4gb DDR3 GSkill | 550W Corsair power supply | AMD Phenom II X2 550 Black Edition Callisto 3.1ghz(Unlocked 2 extra cores) | Sapphire 4870 512mb | 500gb Samsung |21.5" 1080p Hdmi Dell monitor| 21.6" Samsung monitor | RAIDMAX Tornado ATX-238WG | Windows 7 Ultimate Signature Edition
CBrooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2009, 05:41 PM   #3
Baseband Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chroniclez06 View Post
Sounds like your graphics card bit the dust, do you have an extra graphics card you can swap out and test?

I'd give sapphire a call, they may have some troubleshooting steps to take and if that doesnt work you can setup a repair.
That's what I figured. I just got an RMA number for the graphics card, but before I send it away should I try clearing the CMOS? It's a brand new graphics card that had been working perfectly for 4 months before this happened, it just doesn't make sense that it would stop working. I'm wondering if there's something else I could try before returning the card. I dread the idea of returning it, getting a new one in 3 weeks, only to find I still have the same problem.
Old 09-18-2009, 05:50 PM   #4
Daemon Poster

Well never hurts to try....
You got a point with the waiting.
Here just do the quick and easy fixes, no point of sending it back only to find a quick fix.
So try to clear the BIOS (Take battery out) Unplug power supply, and press the power button a few times and wait 10 minutes, then put battery back in, plug power supply in and try.
If you have one laying around, try a different monitor.
Try re-seating your RAM, make sure the connections on it are solid and firmly on.
Why not try on-board video if you have it on your Motherboard?? That can make a good quick fix to see if the card is the problem.
Try a different wire too....
If all those fail except for the on-board video, then you know your problem
4 gigs DDR2 1066 RAM... 640 gig hard drive
Gigabyte Ud4P-MA790x
Whyfly?? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2009, 06:30 PM   #5
Baseband Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whyfly?? View Post
Well never hurts to try....
You got a point with the waiting.
Here just do the quick and easy fixes, no point of sending it back only to find a quick fix.
So try to clear the BIOS (Take battery out) Unplug power supply, and press the power button a few times and wait 10 minutes, then put battery back in, plug power supply in and try.
If you have one laying around, try a different monitor.
Try re-seating your RAM, make sure the connections on it are solid and firmly on.
Why not try on-board video if you have it on your Motherboard?? That can make a good quick fix to see if the card is the problem.
Try a different wire too....
If all those fail except for the on-board video, then you know your problem
Thanks for your reply. Actually I tried a different monitor, also tried re-seating video card. I know it's not the RAM because everything else works. If I load a music CD while the computer's on it plays automatically.

Unfortunately my motherboard doesn't have on-board graphics. I now regret buying one without this, which I thought would save a little money. Now I see it's useful to have it as a back-up.

I just reset the CMOS using the jumper method, with no results. So I think it's time to take a trip to the post office
Old 09-18-2009, 06:39 PM   #6
Daemon Poster

Yep looks like time for a trip sadly

4 gigs DDR2 1066 RAM... 640 gig hard drive
Gigabyte Ud4P-MA790x
Whyfly?? is offline   Reply With Quote