Getting a laptop for school.

I tried vista on a few basic laptops at best buy and it wasn't too bad. It was home basic and they were on laptops with celerons in them and 512MB RAM and ran pretty well. If he's using it for school I don't think it will be a problem, and RAM is always upgradeable down the road.

yea thats what i thought, but i didnt want to say so cause i havent used vista yet, so im no use there

I personally wouldn't buy a Celeron if my life depended on it. If I ever get a Celeron system for free, I make it work and sell it. I'd buy a Core Duo or Core 2 Duo. I'm not sure of the prices on those, but I've noticed they are a lot lower than what I bought my Pentium M HP dv4000 for a little over a year ago ($1200).

Jesusfrk611 said:
I personally wouldn't buy a Celeron if my life depended on it. If I ever get a Celeron system for free, I make it work and sell it. I'd buy a Core Duo or Core 2 Duo. I'm not sure of the prices on those, but I've noticed they are a lot lower than what I bought my Pentium M HP dv4000 for a little over a year ago ($1200).

Theirs nothing wrong with a celeron system at all however. Except for the L2 Cache, they are the same as their Pentium counterparts. They are simply a Pentium with a tiny bit of performance disabled.

celerons are pretty much pentiums but with lower L2 cache and they're geared at lower end stuff such as basic school work, web browsing etc. I had one awhile back and it wasn't too bad.

I had a celeron a while ago to and to be perfectly honest...i couldnt stand the damn thing...you try to do 2 things...like web browse and listen to music and it started getting laggy....who knows maybe just my system...

guys keep in mind he has a budget of 650 and hes only using this for word, nothing more

Jesusfrk611 said:
Yeah but for his budget and what he says he will use it for he wouldnt need a cre duo , also a core duo would use batteries quicker and so wouldnt be as good for mobile

plus celerons are just a p4 with stripped down l2 cache and lower bus and so are aimed at the budget market for home and office pc's ,used for simple purposes like word processing and internet

kjman87 said:
I had a celeron a while ago to and to be perfectly honest...i couldnt stand the damn thing...you try to do 2 things...like web browse and listen to music and it started getting laggy....who knows maybe just my system...

this was probably down to the ammount of ram in the machine

bullzi said:
Operating System Genuine Windows Vista Home Basic
Processor Intel(R) Celeron(R) M 430 (1.73 GHz/1MB L2 Cache)
Display 14.1" WXGA BrightView Widescreen (1280x800)
Graphics Card Intel(R) Graphics Media Accelerator 950
Personalization Imprint Finish + Microphone + QuickPlay
Memory 512MB DDR2 System Memory (1 Dimm)
Hard Drive 80GB 5400RPM SATA Hard Drive
Primary CD/DVD Drive DVD/CD-RW Combo Drive
Networking 802.11b/g WLAN
Primary Battery 6 Cell Lithium Ion Battery
Productivity Software Microsoft(R) Works Suite 2006 includes Word
TV & Entertainment Experience No TV Tuner w/remote control

w
nice specs , although vista would prolly run you may want to get 1gb ram , you could prolly get this with the extra $50 as this laptop is only $600

also the l2cache isnt too bad considering its a celeron , it will suit for all your tasks at the mo i have a pentium M notebook with 512mb ram and at times it can get a bit laggy when performing more than two tasks so i am gonna get 1gb ram

Back
Top Bottom