Getting copper wire to stick..

Draygoes

Fully Optimized
Cynthias charger for her laptop has a completely broken wire on it. Its the third one to the right.
I was able to get it to work, but only by pressing it directly against the other broken part (Getting a spark, but I am sure that was normal), and then setting it up so that it would not so much as move.

Now I would like for it to stay that way. The problem is, I cannot tell if it is pressed properly without a live connection, so that means that for me it must be plugged into the wall. The question is, what should I do to make sure that it cannot seperate again? My options are super glue, duck tape, and electrical tape. I am afraid to use the tape, as that can come undone, so Super Glue feels right to start with. But what do you guys think?

Oh, and can I safly just strip the wires, and twist them together? Would that still proved enough electricity to power the charger?

Just thoughts right now, but I feel like I must figure this out, as that laptop has not worked for the last several weeks, and my budget is shot.

Thank you all for your time.

Since it's an electrical connection, it should be soldered or crimped. Glue or any kind of tape really isn't a good solution. You should be able to strip the wires but unless you post a picture of the wire and where it needs to connect, it is difficult to give proper advice.

If it's inside a wire insulation stick a needle/pin in lengthwise to connect the two broken ends.

If it's inside a wire insulation stick a needle/pin in lengthwise to connect the two broken ends.
That should only be used as a temporary emergency fix, if the break is within the wire and not the end, it would be best to strip the insulation, twist and then solder the wires, then cover with electrical tape or shrink tubing for insulation.

(Sorry guys, worked many years as a technician.)

I will post up some pics tommrow.
This is exactly why I was asking you guys. I knew that you guys would give the best advice. :)

That should only be used as a temporary emergency fix, if the break is within the wire and not the end, it would be best to strip the insulation, twist and then solder the wires, then cover with electrical tape or shrink tubing for insulation.

(Sorry guys, worked many years as a technician.)

This. You don't really want to bodge something like that!

Back
Top Bottom