Go Back   Computer Forums > General Computing > Hardware
Click Here to Login
Join Computer forums Today

Old 05-12-2004, 06:51 PM   #1
Beta Member

Send a message via AIM to DaLlama
Default Getting broadband on my laptop

I just bought a new laptop but it has a dialup modem,and I was looking for a cable modem but I could not find one anywhere.Does anyone know where I can find one?Do they even make a cable laptop modem?

DaLlama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2004, 10:47 PM   #2
Solid State Member

a cable modem is what you would get from the cable company selling you your bandwidth (Like road runner or equivilent). You see, broadband does not get transmitted through a phone wire - it is transmitted (most commonly) through your TV Cable line. What you need for your laptop is a PCMCIA ethernet card. These are availiable on ebay relatively cheap (like 10-20 dollars). You could probably find one at bestbuy or circuit city for 20-30 dollars. Before you get one of these, you should call up your local cable provider to make sure they offer Cable Modem service. Time Warner w/ road runner is just about everywhere except if you live in the boondocks. If the cable modem company doesn't give you a cable modem, then they should be able to help you get one from a store - they'd know which one you need. The cable modem would then hook up to your PCMCIA ethernet card and the ethernet card would go into a PCMCIA slot (all laptops have them).

Hope this was helpful

tommyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2004, 12:27 AM   #3
BSOD

Send a message via ICQ to bluto
Default Re: Getting broadband on my laptop

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaLlama
I just bought a new laptop but it has a dialup modem,and I was looking for a cable modem but I could not find one anywhere.Does anyone know where I can find one?Do they even make a cable laptop modem?
Ask your local cable tv / cable internet server.Tell them you want to subscribe.They will bring you a cable modem ,if it's available where you reside.I hope it's a Big City and not out on a farm.

The dialup modem is useless till an isp sets it up.Forget it's even there.
bluto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2004, 11:27 AM   #4
Guru

Send a message via MSN to Lord Kalthorn

Wannado (needs a bit of getting used to) does a Broadband Modem Package for free as long as you sign up for 1 year. Only 27 a month and you will get it set up for free - you wil have to order that from Freeserve (0870 11 2462) as I don't think they do them for free in PC World. However, then you can go to PC World where, because you have a Laptop, you can get a 9.6m (or less depending on what you want - don't go over that!) High-Speed Belkin Internet Cable. That'll do the job.
Old 05-13-2004, 12:18 PM   #5
Solid State Member

i apologise, DaLlama! I gota stop assuming that everyone is from the States - what country are you from? Road Runner is only availiable in the states, sorry about that!

Goes to show how ethnocentric America is.
tommyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2004, 12:55 PM   #6
Daemon Poster

Default Re: Getting broadband on my laptop

Go for NTL they are fast and cheap 800kb for 25 a month and free install and modem.
GeforcebOY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2004, 05:00 PM   #7
Guru

Send a message via MSN to Lord Kalthorn

NTL! NTL! NTL! You mean Nauseating Telecommunication Lines! Up with Wannado! And - actually - its not 27 a month anymore; its gone down to something which I can't think of right now. But 1Mbps is only 32 on Wannado!

You know what you Wanna do; Wannado