Get windows talking - Solved, Solution inside

DJ Stephen

Fully Optimized
I have a wireless network, my access point/router is a belkin thing and the reciever on my pc is linksys. My dads pc is next to the router so he is connected by ethernet. What i want to do is to be able to share files with dad, and use the printer on my pc. Basically i need step by step help on what to do. Would i have to change the local network name?Thanks
Steven

Re: Get windows talking

I think you are going to need the LAN to connect with the WAN. I once used wireless, and I have long forgotten how to do this. Is your wireless connected to the i-net?? Try to ping his internal IP using DOS, should be "ping 7129719274109724" then it'll tell you. If you can do that, then you should download SAMBA, google it. I think that's an ftp thingy that you can use.

Hi, I have tried to ping his computer and it wont work, and i get 100% loss. There both connected to the same router, i just need to get them talking.

Hmmm... Well you might want to try making a network bridge. Believe it or not, that windows network configurer WORKS! So, go to the new connection wizard and try to get it to connect you to an "existing newtwork". Try that and see what it says.

I did that and it didnt work, but now i am happily sharing printers and files with my dad. For any other people who were wondering how to do this i will tell you all.

When you know that all the machines, wired or wireless are working on the internet, if you are sharing this, its simple. Go to Control Panel and click on system. The the tabs at the top of this window, one of them will say computer name. You have to click the change button to all the computers on the network and change it to the name of your network. Then restart all the computers, and there you have it. You will have to install the printer drivers on both machines if you are sharing these.To share a file or folder, right click, then click properties and go to sharing, then you just check the options you want. Now the last step, let the firewall know this, in mcafee just type all the ips in to the allowed ip box, and make sure lan and network is ticked on the windows firewall exception tab. Where i got stuck, make sure you untick the second tab down on the windows firewall page, under the firewall on.

Hope this helps you all,

steven

Back
Top Bottom