Generic vs. Brand Name

cma

Baseband Member
try to search this question on this search and return no results... hmm no one discussion about it eh?

ok i want to refresh my information center in mind ( for example :p)

I did check some review from differnt hardware sites and a few forums. they said that they are not much difference unless you buy expensive quality brand.

what is your suggestion if you want to buy for your customize pc or maybe your ingorant friend's computer?

This depends. You'll find people will trust brand names better, and with PC hardware, brand names are obviously going to be better because they have been in the buisiness for longer, and have gotten more sucessful at it.

That said, if your talking about cd-r's, etc, I go for non-brand named ones all the time. They still seem to work, even if they don't last as long with shelf life, etc.

So yuo have to be careful, but some non-branded companies may be good, but you do have to say this in your head. Why are they unbranded... does that mean they have been less successful in buisness? Which also means, less successful products?

Though of course, saying that, some of these unbranded companies are just here to do one product, and one product only, so haven't got time to reach a market, so it does all depend on the company, and their views.

ON A PC:

On a PC though, especailly components, always go for branded (I wouldn't have thought they'd have been any for PC components anyway. There doesn't seem to be much headroom in computing for third party manufacturers). By branded I mean Nvidia/ATI/AMD/INTEL, etc, etc, and if your talking about video cards like Power Colour, etc.
They seem to be alright, and can't be counted as unbranded, because they still only modify chips made by the original manufacurer anyway.

I hope this helps.

sh**... i lookw like i waste your time.. i am trying to refer to RAM... i am very sorry to not add mroe speficiation.

RAM - no difference as i want to refresh my mind.
cd - make difference
video card- unknown but i assume it makes difference
motherboard - very huge diffference
power supply - very huge diffference
etc

Right well unbranded ram would definietly make a difference also. What make of RAM are you enquiring about?

With CD-R's I don't really care if I buy unbranded or not. They still burn and run so meh.

There aren't any unbranded video cards I've heard of, unless your talking about the ones by Powercolour, etc like I mentioned, in which case, most of these are okay, and some can even be better than the original spec card.

Motherboard - Again, I'm not sure if there are any unbranded types.

Power Supplies - I know there are in this area, and they can be a problem yes. You'll see them usually in cheaper cases... not good for a high grade system, and can be unstable as well. In this sector, cheaper is not better.

So all in all, you just have to be careful what you buy. As long as you are, you shouldn't run into any problems.

really? they make different..hmmm....

lets talking about RAM only

i am not sure what exactly you are asking. "make of RAM" what make? manufacture?

I think most of us are accustomed to using "brand name" RAM instead of "others". Simply because they are known to be reliable (well supported) and have great potential than cheaper no name RAMs. Isn't that what makes them cheaper in the first place? That's how I think of it. Some immediate RAM that pops into mind are: Mushkin, Kingston, Corsair, G. Skill, Geil, OCZ, and the reliable yet cheap Rosewill RAMs.

Are those rosewills really that reliable? i've grown to trust kingston, mushkin, and corsair, never had much experience with any other brand... cheap makes me nervous..

I've read reviews on Rosewill RAM's and they seem to be reliable from comments, just like Kingston RAMs. If it was me, I like Corsair and OCZ.

On some parts name brand make a huge differance other they dont.

RAM - Yes name brand makes a differance. As genaric RAM is uselly lower end non performace. If you are only making a computer to surf the web then there is no differance. If you are building a performace computer then there is.

MB - same thing as above. However some genarics are just really crappy.

CPU - There really is only name brand here

CDROM/DVD/RW - No differance i have a $30 NEC and it works fine (now that i flashed the firmware to get rid of the riplock)

VIDEOCARD - Same as RAM big differance

PSU - You wont really notice a differance per say but your computer will feel the differance. (parts will last longer your computer will get cleaner power etc)

Case - No its really preferance it wont affect the performace of your computer

go name brand with tv tuners and such, because i bought one that did not work with my computer, and when i called them, it was speaking in like chinese or something, so i lost $60...

Back
Top Bottom