Go Back   Computer Forums > General Computing > Hardware
Join Computer forums Today

Old 05-23-2009, 12:42 AM   #1
Baseband Member
Default Generic Gamer Question

I didnt know where else to put this. I just had a basic gamer question since I am not a gamer. Excuse my ignorance...

I noticed the prices, effort, hardware that goes into a gamer PC is pretty high. Why not have PS3 or another system? Do you guys play these games with a Keyboard/mouse? or other control platforms?

pitbull30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2009, 12:46 AM   #2
Default Re: Generic Gamer Question

I am a Gamer..
PC is the best option when it comes with gameing bud.

-It can Simulation all Consuls and Most Games are Made for PC.

And also..
With a Good graphics ect.. we LOVE IT!

PS3 is a good example

I have 3x PC's (1 Tower For Home and 1 Laptop for when i am out doors)
I also have a XBOX-360- Modded.
I also have a PLAY-STATION-3-
I also have a DSi.

We Gamers RULE games.

AntiStealth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2009, 12:46 AM   #3
Omnipotent One
Send a message via AIM to Atomic Rooster Send a message via Yahoo to Atomic Rooster

Well, we have an Xbox 360, Wii, PSP, Nintendo DS and a few computers that we use for many things including gaming. Just a keyboard and mouse is all I use for gaming on my comp. The computer has much better graphics and titles you just can't play on a console.
Atomic Rooster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2009, 02:09 AM   #4
Fully Optimized

The computer is cheaper than a console in the long run because every year or so, there is a new console from a different brand or the same.
A good console costs as much if not more than a decent gaming computer in terms of use and relatively speaking.
The computer's graphics are far superior to that of it's console counter part. There are many more First Person Shooter (and other) games out there for the PC than there are for consoles.
PC's are upgradable, making them more flexible and able to keep up with even the latest consoles after a previous console is considered "dead".
You can computers for other things than just gaming.

Cost Comparison (See below)

Sony PlayStation 3 - $400
- Console
- Controller
- Est. 6-12 months before next major replacement console comes out-$650
- New "equipment" for almost every console
- Limited usefulness

Gaming Computer - $550
Case: Rosewill TU-155 Gaming Case
Motherboard: Foxconn A74MX-K
CPU: AMD Athlon 64 X2 2.7 GHz
Hard Drive: Western Digital 320GB
System Memory: A-DATA 2X1GB
Video Card: XFX 9500GT 512MB
Optical: Blu-RAY Drive & DVD Burner
Operating System: Windows Vista Home Premium 64-Bit
- Desktop and functioning "console"
- Will last about 2-3 years before needed upgrade
- Can be upgraded to keep up with the latest consoles for years
- Stylish
XPEX Vortex 3620 Mid Tower, Rosewill 450 Watt PSU, MSI P6N SLI Platinum 650i, Intel Celeron D 356, 2GB G.SKILL DDR2 800, Western Digital 40GB, (2) EVGA 7950GT 256MB Video Cards in SLI, HP DVD Multi-Burner, Windows XP.
63083 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2009, 03:35 AM   #5
Golden Master

A well built custom PC is far superior to even the most expensive console hardware. Therefore it is able to handle much higher resolutions and more detailed textures. I /facepalm when console gamers boast that they can play in HD. PC gamers have been playing at HD resolutions for a long time. We have 2560x1600 @ 30"
The variety of games available for the PC is more vast. You can't really play an RTS or an FPS on a console and get the full experience out of it.
The keyboard and mouse makes online play a lot more fun. I am a complete with a controller yet I still did pretty well playing UTIII on a friend's 360 online. Try a game of counter strike on the PC for the first time ever, it requires a lot more skill.
I like how customizable PCs are, I can overclock it, fiddle with the hardware, constantly improve it.

So those are my reasons.
AMD Phenom II X4 955 BE @ 4.0GHz + TU120E lapped - MSI 770-CD45 AM3 - 2x2GB OCZ DDR3 1333MHz - Sapphire HD 4870 - Samsung Spinpoint 500GB 7200RPM 16MB cache HDD - Tagan TG600-BZ Piperock - (Currently open test bed) - Windows Vista Home Premium 64bit.
worshipme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2009, 04:11 AM   #6
(╯□)╯︵ ┻━┻

Easy answer...

Its all a matter of preference.

I game on anything I want, Im not going to limit myself on just a computer or consoles. Each have their own unique exclusives that everybody should try out. I prefer gameplay over graphics. Even if the game has the best graphics, if the gameplay sucks, then the games sucks in my opinion.
But from what I noticed, its cheaper to get an computer, because most people dont add in the cost of the TV to play it, how are you going to play a console without a TV right?
Then comes the games, the games cost about $50-$60 for this generation of consoles (depending on which console), as to where PC games are $40-$50, so for pc, you can get an buy 5 get one free kind of deal.
Desktop -Cooler Master NV690/AMD Phenom II X4 965 BE/MSI 880G-E45 Motherboard/2 x 2GB DDR3 G.Skill Ripjaws X/Sapphire HD 5870 1GB GDDR5/CORSAIR CMPSU-550VX/Seagate 7200.12 500GB (OS), Samsung F3 1TB (Storage)/Sony DVD Burner/Windows 7 Professional 64-bit
Teny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2009, 04:41 AM   #7

I aggre with all of you.
Its all basicaly about performance if your playing games.
and consoles.
I :3 My XBOX-360-
Old 05-23-2009, 07:40 AM   #8
Daemon Poster

I prefer gaming on my PC too "now" I really never got into gaming on a PC until recently but as soon as I did I honestly haven't turned on any of my consoles unless I am playing a multiplayer game with friends over or the occasional tiger woods 09 on the Wii.

I feel that the keyboard and mouse control (once you get used to it) is FAR superior to that of a controller. But if you like the controler feel you can use a xbox 360 controller as well as other controllers for the PC as well. If you have a wired xbox 360 controller that came with I believe every xbox 360 it has a USB connector on it and can be plugged right into a PC and for me Windows got the driver for it and it worked perfect. I use a controller for Devil May Cry 4 but use a Keyboard for all my FPS (first person shooter) games.

The graphics are better in my opinion and online play is free. Although it is also free on PS3 AFAIK but I don't have one of those. On xbox you have to pay to get the same online service. Another thing too is the sites like STEAM, and XFIRE where you can buy and download games/demos, save a friends list, and join groups and clans and stuff.

I like having the option of getting a sale on a game without having to go to the store and look at all the games to see if there is any on sale (which never seems to happen with console games anyways)

Plus when I want to switch games I don't have to get off my lazy but go to the console take the disc out, put it in the case, take out the other game, check to see if its dusty, scratched, fingerprinted, or what not then put it in and go back to my seat. On a PC I can just click exit and then click the shortcut for the next one i want to play...

All in all I prefer the PC over the console but I still have consoles for somethings such as Madden, Tiger woods golf, zelda, mario kart, and other games you just can't play on a PC. But if there is an option of playing on the pc thats what i get
Raidmax Smilodon Extreme Black Case -|-AMD Phenom II x4 955 BE @ 3829.50 Mhz (18.5 x 207, vcore 1.424, NB 2600 mhz, HT link 2200 mhz) -|- Xigmatek Dark Knight S1283V -|- Gigabyte MA790XT-UD4P Mobo -|- G. Skill 6Gb (3 x 2Gb) DDR3 1333 RAM 7-7-7-18-2t -|- WD Caviar 7200 RPM 1 TB HDD -|- OCZ GameXtreme 700W -|- Radeon 4870 1Gb @ 780/1050 -|- Asus VW202NR 20" wide-screen -|- Windows 7 Professional 64 Bit -|- Saitek Cyborg Keyboard -|- Razer Lachesis Mouse
PokerDegenerate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2009, 11:04 AM   #9
In Runtime

I have a ps3 xbox360 2 computers one pc coast around 500 dollers and the one i have coast 1,200 dollers
[22 in 1080 p monitor ][8 GB of RAm ][Apex X-Jupeter][AMD Phenom II 940] [m4n7-E SLI ][EVGA Geforce 260 GTX] [G11 Keyboard And G9 Mouse]

noobbuilder2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2009, 08:02 PM   #10

We all have HIGH-TECH consoles here.