general question

archlord

Beta member
i have a quad core 2 processor. ive had it for about 3 years in my computer with no problems. 2 days ago i turned on my computer and nothing happened except the cpu fan went full speed and stayed there. i opened the case and cleaned the heatsink, turned it on and it was fine. however after playing a game that i normaly play i can hear the fan spinning quite fast. now it never did this before and it is effecting the game.

i checked the processor log and it only uses one core of the 4 but uses the full core 25% max.

i think maybe i could have knocked the thermal compound off while cleaning the heatsink but im not sure. does anyone aggree? before i buy more compound?

thanks and sorry for spelling :p

Yeah sounds like a good possibility to me mate, maybe you wiped some of the thermal compound off.

The stuff isn't expensive but you could always just try taking the heatsink and fan off and putting it back on again? It's really easy not to get perfect contact on them!!

thanks for the reply. i noticed that when i cleaned the top of the heatsink i nudged one of the locks and it came undone. so just to be safe i cleaned off the old stuff and applied new compound. will be testing it on the game shortly.

Back
Top Bottom