Gateway >.<

ace777

Fully Optimized
Ok I have 2 questions,

1. I need to restore a computer I bought a (310S gateway, ) and I call the company and ask how much they charge to buy a gateway restore disk, the lady says 199.99!!!! what is the deal? I bought a Emachines restore disk for 20 one time.I got this from a friend so is it because I didn't buy it from a store? I could buy a XP OS for 100. does anyone know where I can buy one for cheaper or a cheap XP disk?

2. Whats the best PCI video card I can get? I have a 2.4 Celeron, 1.256 RAM, 40 GB HDD, see sig, and bought a PNY Verto 5200 FX and its a piece of crap, could have got a 5500 for what I paid. so whats the best card for my system

thanks
-ace

If you know someone with an XP disc of the same version as the key you have, borrow it or copy it and you can use that. If not, you can torrent a copy the XP disc and use your current key.

My brother has a Visiontek Radeon 9250 PCI card and it plays COD2, BF2, and all that kind of stuff on his P4 3GHz system. He already needs something better though because he bought Oblivion and it's not working with his system. I told him he should customize, but he decides to get a prebuilt eMachines and it's only got PCI slots...

ok will do, and your right about emachines, thought they were great ( and they can sometimes can be) but I had moved to gateway and loved them until this happened. But thank you, is getting it from a torrent legal? I mean Microsoft isn't selling the disk itself just the OS, and I have a key so is that legal?

Just grab tinyxp rev 06 from torrentspy, burn it to a cd, then install it over your existing OS; that should recover it.

If you have a Generic XP disk (like a retail version) you can use that with your key. The only down side is instead of auto-installing the drivers which usually happens with Gateway CDs, you will need to go to Gateway's site to get drivers.

ok will do, and your right about emachines, thought they were great ( and they can sometimes can be) but I had moved to gateway and loved them until this happened. But thank you, is getting it from a torrent legal? I mean Microsoft isn't selling the disk itself just the OS, and I have a key so is that legal?
eMachines is made by Gateway...

Getting a CD from a torrent is legal, using a key that you didn't buy is illegal. You are basically just paying for the key when you buy an OS since it can only function for 30 days without one.

I know that, thats why I was so shocked about them selling a 200$ recovery disk, and when you call emachines( for another comp I had) its only 20$. Whats the chances of getting a virus from one of those OS's? And can you puit a link up?

-ace777

Back
Top Bottom