Go Back   Computer Forums > General Computing > Hardware
Click Here to Login
Join Computer forums Today


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 01-05-2015, 04:15 PM   #81
Fully Optimized
 
BikerEcho's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Denmark
Posts: 4,013
Default Re: Gaming Rig Upgrade

Yeah, that's true. You will see absolutely NO difference in FPS in any game if you compare I5 vs I7.
If however (as i mentioned before) rendering and decompression /compression is a huge or somewhat big part of your routine when using the computer(whatever it's work related or something you do often privately), then it's different and an I7 might be a good choice. If not, The i5 is the way to go
__________________

__________________
MOBO: Asus Maximus 6 Hero - GPU: Gigabyte GTX 980ti xtreme - CPU: I7-4770K - PSU: Corsair AX760
RAM: Corsair Vantage 2x4GB - SSD: Samsung 840 EVO 512 + LiteOn LCS-256 - Case: NZXT H440
BikerEcho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2015, 03:54 PM   #82
Daemon Poster
 
YoungIT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: USA
Posts: 661
Default Re: Gaming Rig Upgrade

Quote:
Originally Posted by BikerEcho View Post
Yeah, that's true. You will see absolutely NO difference in FPS in any game if you compare I5 vs I7.
If however (as i mentioned before) rendering and decompression /compression is a huge or somewhat big part of your routine when using the computer(whatever it's work related or something you do often privately), then it's different and an I7 might be a good choice. If not, The i5 is the way to go
Well my buddy and I are starting a YouTube Channel surrounding gameplay and tech tips, such as building gaming PC's and what to look for and what not, and I need to use after effects or Sony Vegas. Not sure which one is better, seeing that I've only used AE. So would an i7 be needed for that or would the i5 do the job? I just want to make the best decision and get performance out of this PC atleast till I'm out of college.
__________________

__________________
"Difficulties mastered are opportunities won" -Sir Winston S. Churchill
YoungIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2015, 04:16 AM   #83
Fully Optimized
 
BikerEcho's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Denmark
Posts: 4,013
Default Re: Gaming Rig Upgrade

After effects takes all the juice it can get when finishing up (rendering) a video.
So an i7 is gonna be noticeable. but is it worth the extra hard earned cash, I'm not sure, but I personally would go for the I7.
This article have combined some real world benchmarks (and a few "non real world" if you can call it that) like Winrar, TrueCrypt (some encryption software) and 3 different Adobe programs. (Photoshop, Premiere and After Effects).
Most off these benchmarks are time measured rather then just given points. That gives you a better idea what to expect.

Here it is: More on Haswell: Core i5-4670K, Core i5-4670, Core i5-4570 and Core i5-4430 Processors Review. Page 6 - X-bit labs
__________________
MOBO: Asus Maximus 6 Hero - GPU: Gigabyte GTX 980ti xtreme - CPU: I7-4770K - PSU: Corsair AX760
RAM: Corsair Vantage 2x4GB - SSD: Samsung 840 EVO 512 + LiteOn LCS-256 - Case: NZXT H440
BikerEcho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2015, 04:30 AM   #84
Fully Optimized
 
joedaman633's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: England, Birmingham
Posts: 1,812
Default Re: Gaming Rig Upgrade

Would I be right in saying that in some modern video effects software, the rendering is performed by the GPU? I'm sure I read it somewhere, I suspect it's more of an Nvidia thing though with the CODA computational cores.

EDIT: There you go...

http://www.sonycreativesoftware.com/...n_Vegas_Pro_11
__________________
Athlon II x4 645 || 1TB 7200rpm HDD || EVGA GTX 650Ti OC || 8GB DDR3 RAM || Windows 7 Home x64

i5 4210M || 500GB Samsung EVO 850 SSD || GeForce 825M || 16GB DDR3 RAM || Windows 10 x64
joedaman633 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2015, 05:33 AM   #85
Fully Optimized
 
BikerEcho's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Denmark
Posts: 4,013
Default Re: Gaming Rig Upgrade

I am not much into video editing, But i am pretty sure it's not 100% the GPU that takes over the rendering. It depends on what to render. Hints why it's called GPU acceleration. So a good CPU still makes a difference.

This talks about that AfterEffects only uses GPU accelerated rendering for "3D ray-traced rendering" what ever that is.
Adobe After Effects CS6 - CPU vs GPU - GPU Rendering Magazine

But yeah, it does make a huge difference. Update after update more is taken from the CPU and given to the GPU. So that's awesome. I use GPU acceleration in Photoshop. That applies filters faster. It works.

So real quick i'll again say, i am not sure if the I7 is the right choice. It's ofcause nice to have, but the performance/cash ratio is not worth it for most people.
I choose the I7 for the following reasons
  • Because of my enthusiasm (which is a valid argument)
  • The extra performance i don't really need but still love to have available
  • It will keep my CPU performance from becoming outdated for a little longer.
  • I had the money to spend.

If you agree with all these reasons. Get the I7. If not, The I5 is the way to go
__________________
MOBO: Asus Maximus 6 Hero - GPU: Gigabyte GTX 980ti xtreme - CPU: I7-4770K - PSU: Corsair AX760
RAM: Corsair Vantage 2x4GB - SSD: Samsung 840 EVO 512 + LiteOn LCS-256 - Case: NZXT H440
BikerEcho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2015, 08:06 PM   #86
Fully Optimized
 
Draygoes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: United States
Posts: 1,653
Default Re: Gaming Rig Upgrade

Quote:
Originally Posted by BikerEcho View Post
Draygoes:
I don't know if i agree fully on that. But then again. My knowledge about guns are not more than the average person.
It just seam to me like a weapon that can quickly fire multiple rounds against a target would be better. I just suspect that skills are less needed when you have 30 bullets in a magazine and a hold to fire trigger.
Note: When i say less skill is needed i mean in comparison to a pistol. I am well aware that skills with a weapon make all the difference in a fire fight.
That is fair enough. I had to learn, and I assume you have never fired a gun.

The rifles that are considered assult rifles are simi automatic, which means that you fire, it reloads for you, and you fire again. I agree with fully auto being outlawed, but even those you do not want to fire for to long or you will spend most if not all of your ammo.

A handgun would be much more simple to control, and therefore much better in a close range environment. I can hold a lot more ammo with a hand gun than I can a rifle, considering I have to figure out how to stash the rifle, and the clips (mags) are much larger.


A rifle or handgun (both legal) fire one round. That is what simi auto means. Fully auto is illegal without the right license, and you would spend too much ammo into one person trying to harm them than you need to.
Now, I am going to forget that this subject even exists at this point, at least for tonight. I do not wish to put myself in the place of a mass attack, and therefore would rather not think about it right now. If you have any other questions, I would be glad to answer them tommrow.
__________________
Will have a youtube channel up soon. Link will be here if I remember.
Draygoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2015, 09:14 PM   #87
Fully Optimized
 
BikerEcho's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Denmark
Posts: 4,013
Default Re: Gaming Rig Upgrade

I am definitely learning something.

I have fired a gun before... but nothing special. I have only fired a few different guns using the .22 cal. So only beginner weapons. Other than that i own a high powered air rifle. It can kill a man.

I am actually more interested in bows and swords to be honest. I have 2 Katana swords, A kukri and some knifes (one of them is one of the most banned knifes world wide. The balisong. "ohh watch out.. in can open in different acrobatic ways, so it most be more deadly, we better ban it" ) So yeah, not the biggest collection so far, but i am getting there

In case you were wondering, this is a balisong (one of the more pretty once):
__________________
MOBO: Asus Maximus 6 Hero - GPU: Gigabyte GTX 980ti xtreme - CPU: I7-4770K - PSU: Corsair AX760
RAM: Corsair Vantage 2x4GB - SSD: Samsung 840 EVO 512 + LiteOn LCS-256 - Case: NZXT H440
BikerEcho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2015, 09:34 PM   #88
Fully Optimized
 
BikerEcho's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Denmark
Posts: 4,013
Default Re: Gaming Rig Upgrade

Quote:
Originally Posted by BikerEcho View Post
I choose the I7 for the following reasons
  • Because of my enthusiasm (which is a valid argument)
  • The extra performance i don't really need but still love to have available
  • It will keep my CPU performance from becoming outdated for a little longer.
  • I had the money to spend.

If you agree with all these reasons. Get the I7. If not, The I5 is the way to go
I usually proofread my posts, but i was in a hurry. I realize the last part didn't make sense. the "If you can agree with these reasons" part.
I think the following make more sense
  • if you can see yourself buying an I7 for these reasons you should consider an i7
Still doesn't mean that you should buy it. Those reasons was simple the reasons that I personally bought it. Mostly my enthusiasm and that i had the money to spend. The extra performance are really only used in WinRAR and SLIGHTLY in photoshop. Nothing else. But to me it's still worth it... i might be an idiot, maybe that's why No but really you can only answer that your self.
The bang for the bug ratio is better on the I5. That's a fact, But if you need/want the extra punch and you have the money to spend, go for it.
__________________
MOBO: Asus Maximus 6 Hero - GPU: Gigabyte GTX 980ti xtreme - CPU: I7-4770K - PSU: Corsair AX760
RAM: Corsair Vantage 2x4GB - SSD: Samsung 840 EVO 512 + LiteOn LCS-256 - Case: NZXT H440
BikerEcho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2015, 09:42 PM   #89
Daemon Poster
 
YoungIT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: USA
Posts: 661
Default Re: Gaming Rig Upgrade

Quote:
Originally Posted by Draygoes View Post
That is fair enough. I had to learn, and I assume you have never fired a gun.

The rifles that are considered assult rifles are simi automatic, which means that you fire, it reloads for you, and you fire again. I agree with fully auto being outlawed, but even those you do not want to fire for to long or you will spend most if not all of your ammo.

A handgun would be much more simple to control, and therefore much better in a close range environment. I can hold a lot more ammo with a hand gun than I can a rifle, considering I have to figure out how to stash the rifle, and the clips (mags) are much larger.


A rifle or handgun (both legal) fire one round. That is what simi auto means. Fully auto is illegal without the right license, and you would spend too much ammo into one person trying to harm them than you need to.
Now, I am going to forget that this subject even exists at this point, at least for tonight. I do not wish to put myself in the place of a mass attack, and therefore would rather not think about it right now. If you have any other questions, I would be glad to answer them tommrow.
I disagree with the handgun being able to be kept better under control. They are really light and their recoil is ridiculous. I also disagree with full auto firearms being banned. They pose less of a threat than a semi auto. And it's semi, not simi lol.

---------- Post added at 09:42 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:37 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by BikerEcho View Post
I usually proofread my posts, but i was in a hurry. I realize the last part didn't make sense. the "If you can agree with these reasons" part.
I think the following make more sense
  • if you can see yourself buying an I7 for these reasons you should consider an i7
Still doesn't mean that you should buy it. Those reasons was simple the reasons that I personally bought it. Mostly my enthusiasm and that i had the money to spend. The extra performance are really only used in WinRAR and SLIGHTLY in photoshop. Nothing else. But to me it's still worth it... i might be an idiot, maybe that's why No but really you can only answer that your self.
The bang for the bug ratio is better on the I5. That's a fact, But if you need/want the extra punch and you have the money to spend, go for it.
This is what my manager Brian said to me, he said "literally no game known to man today will utilize every single core in the i5 you chose at 100% utilization because nothing is that intense, and to spend an extra $80 for a little better performance, regardless if hyperthreaded, which makes no gaming difference, is totally not needed. Stick with the i5."

I have to agree with him somewhat, but I like being able to overkill my system.
__________________
"Difficulties mastered are opportunities won" -Sir Winston S. Churchill
YoungIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2015, 09:50 PM   #90
Fully Optimized
 
BikerEcho's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Denmark
Posts: 4,013
Default Re: Gaming Rig Upgrade

Quote:
but I like being able to overkill my system.
Ok. If you still have trouble deciding, think about this one for a sec.
If you buy the I5 and regret not buying the I7, that would suck
If you buy the I7 and regret spending that extra cash, that would also suck. But you can always say "well... sure it have cost more than i would have liked, but atleast i have the best of the best for the 1150 platform"
__________________

__________________
MOBO: Asus Maximus 6 Hero - GPU: Gigabyte GTX 980ti xtreme - CPU: I7-4770K - PSU: Corsair AX760
RAM: Corsair Vantage 2x4GB - SSD: Samsung 840 EVO 512 + LiteOn LCS-256 - Case: NZXT H440
BikerEcho is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:47 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0