Gaming Rig

I have no idea why people are just blindly saying "oh cool, yeah, get 8GBs of RAM, sweet dude!"...that's just overkill

Windows 7 RC would be a great choice for an OS right

cutting back on the amount of RAM and saving on the OS right now means that you could probably upgrade the video card or processor choice without going over your budget, or just keep them the same and keep that saved money in your pocket...

I couldn't agree more. This sums it up.

Well yesterday was weird, I couldn't go on this website, so sorry about late response.
Guys I don't know about Windows 7.
Wouldn't I be getting a free BETA product right now?
And when it does come on sale in March, how much will it cost?
I'm just 13 and these $900 are from 3-4 years of saving.
So do you guys think eight gigs is overkill? Are you guys saying four, or should I go five or six?

Edit: Reading about Windows 7, but it seems to be leaving everything else in the dust.
I think this is what I'm going to do.
Buy Vista Premium, use that for about a year, then when Windows 7 comes out, I will check out the price, if it's good I will buy it, if I can't afford I will stay with Vista.
Is that a good plan?

4GB - 6GB is about the sweet spot for a Vista 64 gaming rig. If you'll be doing any video editing or composing, then 8GB or more may be needed.

The release candidate Windows 7 is working great for most users' so far. But the thing is, Microsoft hasn't released the pricing details for the final version yet. Being that you're 13 and have a limited income, you may be better off grabbing Vista 64 as new software releases tend to be a bit expensive.

Yeah I would go with vista as well. One thing that people are forgetting to hand out as instructions with Windows 7 beta is that even when Windows 7 is released to the public and you do purchase it you are still going to have to do a clean install of it. There is no upgrading from the RC to the final copy. So all of these people who are taking this recommendation for windows 7 from the members might not know this. Some people might like the idea of the free OS but don't get the full details or have the knowledge to separate the programs and data onto a different partition or Hard Drive in order to save all of their stuff when the RC period is over with.

I would just go with 4 gb's of ram for this build and I would also go with vista now if you have the money for it and try windows 7 on a different partition and see if you like it. If you need help doing that we will be happy to help you and if you do go with Vista now you can always upgrade to 7 when it is released later on or just stick with vista for a while. I personally don't like having to do a clean install and for those people who have a lot of pictures, music, documents and so on might not like that either if they weren't aware of this when selecting windows 7 RC for their primary OS.

hey poker, if u do what you are saying and partition into 2 drives... and you put all of your files (documents, music, pictures, videos, etc) onto one, then you left the rest as one big partition... u could just wipe the big one and keep the smaller one...right? but could you get your files off of that partition and move them back onto your main partition once the RC runs out?

I have no idea why people are just blindly saying "oh cool, yeah, get 8GBs of RAM, sweet dude!"...that's just overkill and most of that RAM will just sit there unused, 4GBs is more than enough for any system right now and if you ever needed 4GBs more RAM later on it would probably be cheaper to add it then...

Agreed.

As a standard practice I always install the maximum ram the motherboard will take. Over the years I find this simpler than adding ram later as OS requirements change. You are, of course, correct that this probably isn't the most frugal but it's my preferred method.

so you would spend like 300 dollars on 16gb of ram, or even 32 that some boards support now...thats just ridiculous

I'm just 13 and these $900 are from 3-4 years of saving.

I'll also recommend that you go with maximum 4 gigs of ram.

wol-va-rine is right, you could use the savings better elseware in your new system, or keep it in reserve in the bank.

so you would spend like 300 dollars on 16gb of ram, or even 32 that some boards support now...thats just ridiculous

Years ago when ram was expensive I spent $600 on 16 Megabytes of ram. Granted that is excessive, but the system served me well for many years.

Keep in mind that I'm not recommending everyone else do this.

Agreed.

As a standard practice I always install the maximum ram the motherboard will take. Over the years I find this simpler than adding ram later as OS requirements change. You are, of course, correct that this probably isn't the most frugal but it's my preferred method.

If I do that I end up with eight gigs :D
Yeah I'm going with Vista.

What am I going to say to my dad in March? "Hey Dad I got a problem, you see I only got the DEMO of Windows 7, now I need $500 to buy the full version, and oh yeah, all our important files will be wiped out, unless you give me a $100 for a external harddrive."
Dad-*Smack* :D
Besides if it's only like a hundred or two hundred, I can always use Vista for two years, and when I get a job I can afford Windows 7.
You guys agree?

Back
Top Bottom