Games run really slow...

Mutant Corn

Daemon Poster
I've noticed that every time I play most any game, my CPU runs constantly at or near 100%, and runs really slow. I always assumed it's because of my graphics card(specs below), but I don't know. I've been attempting to play Spore, and sometimes it runs relatively fine if I set affinity to CPU 1. (my system does meets the minimum specs) Other times, though, it maxes both cores the processor even though the game is set to only use one, and I get maybe 10FPS, generally slower. What's going on?

Specs:
Dell XPS M1210
2.0GHz Centrino Duo
2Gb RAM
NVidia GeForce Go 7400 (128Mb, I think)
Windows Vista Home Premium

If this helps I keep it on a cheap laptop cooler. It still gets pretty hot, but not like it does when the cooler isn't there.

unless you got your system specs completely wrong, that kind of performance from a dual core in a pathetic game like Spore(graphically, not pathetic because of actual gameplay, although IMO Spore has pretty bad gameplay too) is impossible. you would have to be one of the most horrible computer managers in the world to let a dual core comp do that...

you need to shut off some other processes as i think that is your problem. it might also be a overheating problem, but i doubt it unless you are playing it with a laptop...oh wait. you are. i just found your problem....

overheating dude. either that or you have lots of crapware.

tell us some temps to work with. btw, dont use your laptop on uneven surfaces such as on beds. use flat tables instead.

so.. temps plz/

Could consider, looking at the task manger and seeing what other programmes are running when playing the game and end the ones that are slowing you down (if you know what your doing).

- Whens the last time you gave your PC a good'ol defrag or virus scan...

I don't usually have anything running except Avast, sidebar(just the CPU monitor), and whatever else runs standard on Windows. I even have the theme set to Windows classic.

I generally use it on a 2-fan cooling pad, with space underneath it. I've also been alternating every five minutes or so between keeping the drive open and closed, so it acts as a sort of secondary heat sink. (just when it starts getting unusually hot)

Still, it gets pretty hot if I don't watch it and take breaks. Is that the problem, then? Why does it cause the CPU to freak out like that?

edit: I forgot to add...it's not just Spore that does it. I've had this happen on just about everything...even those crappy Korean MMO's that use 10-year-old software. Why does something like that put so much strain on my system?

This is worth a try; download Tune-up utilities 2008 and run all the necessary utilities, that might help.

Back
Top Bottom