Game hiccups and freeze spikes. Savvy gamers please assist!

Cheers my friend. I will head over to Microcenter with my rig and check out that cooler. It was also suggested to enable Intel's turboboost, so it wouldn't throttle. Unfortunately that didn't work, seems everything leads to cpu overheating issues.

Turbo Boost will only activate/kick-in when the CPU is under pressure and needs more power https://www-ssl.intel.com/content/w...ology/turbo-boost/turbo-boost-technology.html, How Intel Turbo Boost Works [Technology Explained].

Last edited:
Good, now we know the hardware is in place.

Weird, from your previous posts (post #8), CPU is not even close to overheating. I run some light 3D games on my computer at work with slow frame rates, but without having hiccups at all, and the case is not even ventilated well (everything is stock and of office quality).

Are you sure there are no programs working on the background causing this? Randomly accessing storage is one known reason.

Try running one of the games on a window and monitor the system processes from the Resource Monitor which shows all processes unlike the Processes tab in the Windows Task Manager. You can access it from the Performance tab two steps next to the Processes tab. I hope it is not the System Interrupts.

Did you always have this problem?

Perhaps you would like to share the system specs in full details, at least for the sake of sharing? Maybe it could give us a clue.

Alright, I will try that. I have resource monitor open, should I be looking within the cpu tab for cpu usage spikes to 100% percent? Or am I checking memory, to see if something randomly uses a lot of RAM during gameplay? And yes, I always have this problem, ever since I built my PC a few months ago. What spec details would help you? Hardware?

Your problem existed since you've built your system? In that case I'd check that I have the stand offs in the right places. Also that the mobo was high enough to completely seat the cards. Once seated you should not see the contacts in the slots.

Alright, I will try that. I have resource monitor open, should I be looking within the cpu tab for cpu usage spikes to 100% percent? Or am I checking memory, to see if something randomly uses a lot of RAM during gameplay? And yes, I always have this problem, ever since I built my PC a few months ago. What spec details would help you? Hardware?

The CPU's usage was what I had in mind, but since you mentioned it, it sounds like a good idea to see the behavior of the RAM's too. Using all the memory then clearing some of it as needed does cause such problems.

How many storage devices are there in your computer, what sound device are you using and how are you connected to the internet? Try disabling all you can of them even the sound device and try.

Your problem existed since you've built your system? In that case I'd check that I have the stand offs in the right places. Also that the mobo was high enough to completely seat the cards. Once seated you should not see the contacts in the slots.

I guess I should clarify. I didn't play much of any games for roughly the first month, so I can't say for sure if the issue existed then. My case is a little cramped, but I'm fairly certain I mounted the motherboard correctly on the holes for uatx. If not, could that really have a large impact on performance?

Back
Top Bottom