Go Back   Computer Forums > General Computing > Hardware
Click Here to Login
Join Computer forums Today


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 07-06-2012, 02:35 PM   #11
Fully Optimized
 
OhSnapWord's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: USA
Posts: 1,853
Default Re: Game build

Quote:
Originally Posted by EchoNatek View Post
you are correct. you need to identical drives in order to do raid.

yeah i like illuminating keyboards as well. ^^
You don't necessarily need identical drives to RAID. It is absolutely best practice and strongly recommended to use identical drives for RAID.
__________________

__________________
FX-8350 @ 4.7 cooled by H80, 32GB Mushkin Enhanced Blackline 2133, Asus Sabertooth 990FX, 2x Radeon HD 7850 2GB in X-fire, 500GB Samsung 850 Evo, 4TB Seagate, 3TB WD Black, 2x 1TB WD RED in RAID 0
OhSnapWord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 02:54 PM   #12
Fully Optimized
 
BikerEcho's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Denmark
Posts: 4,013
Default Re: Game build

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhSnapWord View Post
You don't necessarily need identical drives to RAID. It is absolutely best practice and strongly recommended to use identical drives for RAID.
Hmm i see. i didn't know that. thanks.
__________________

BikerEcho is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2012, 12:25 AM   #13
Baseband Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 22
Default Re: Game build

This build is great. Nothing much to change here. Although if you are going to OC EchoNatek is right, invest on better cooling.
Crapcicle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2012, 01:32 AM   #14
Beta Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: United States
Posts: 5
Default Re: Game build

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crapcicle View Post
This build is great. Nothing much to change here. Although if you are going to OC EchoNatek is right, invest on better cooling.
I can't overclock with this cooler and the amount of fans in the crazy case I have?? Lol- do you have any suggestions?
northtracks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2012, 04:00 AM   #15
Baseband Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 22
Default Re: Game build

This one is great although its an extra $30 compared to the previous one- Newegg.com - CORSAIR CWCH60 Hydro Series H60 High Performance Liquid CPU Cooler
Crapcicle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2012, 07:12 AM   #16
Fully Optimized
 
BikerEcho's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Denmark
Posts: 4,013
Default Re: Game build

you can easy overclock with your cooler and the case you have.

But I'll tell you one thing. the cooler Crapcicle are recommending is great.
you get a very good cooler and it is much more quiet then most others.
but if you are not doing serous overclocking your cooler will do just fine and still be quieter then a stock intel cooler.

btw: it was Edsterr that suggested a better cooler
BikerEcho is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2012, 07:16 PM   #17
Fully Optimized
 
joedaman633's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: England, Birmingham
Posts: 1,812
Default Re: Game build

Nice build.

I honestly wouldn't bother with RAID 0 on the drives, good for big files I guess, but if you don't need it, there really is no point.
Plus the fact that your standard harddrive will probably be for data, RAID-0 means you are doubling your chances of losing your data, one drive goes, ALL the data goes.

You have an SSD in there, so no worries about the speed
__________________
Athlon II x4 645 || 1TB 7200rpm HDD || EVGA GTX 650Ti OC || 8GB DDR3 RAM || Windows 7 Home x64

i5 4210M || 500GB Samsung EVO 850 SSD || GeForce 825M || 16GB DDR3 RAM || Windows 10 x64
joedaman633 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 08:46 AM   #18
Fully Optimized
 
BikerEcho's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Denmark
Posts: 4,013
Default Re: Game build

yeah backup will be recommended. i have backup for the data i don't want to loose.

but you only have 128gb that can read/write in those high speeds.
(less actually because when the drive is NTFS/fat formatted you loose a certain among of storage. you will have i believe only 115-120GB)

thinking about that: it ain't that much space that can be used at that speed. bootup and windows will be very noticeable faster.
but you will eventually be running out of space and you will start to install more and more on the Data drive.
SSD's are expensive in Price per gigabyte.
so i want RAID0 because it is affordable with a high capacity and you can see the difference when opening files compared to a single drive.
here is some benchmarks that shows single vs RAID0 AND vs SSD. clearly the SSD takes the cake, but 2'nd place goes to RAID0
SSD VS HDD RAID -0 VS Single HDD Comparison - [H]ard|Forum

but again if you don't need that extra speed and want to save some money, go with a single drive.
I would just have gotten RAID0, but you don't have to.
BikerEcho is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 09:00 AM   #19
Beta Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: United States
Posts: 5
Default Re: Game build

Quote:
Originally Posted by EchoNatek View Post
yeah backup will be recommended. i have backup for the data i don't want to loose.

but you only have 128gb that can read/write in those high speeds.
(less actually because when the drive is NTFS/fat formatted you loose a certain among of storage. you will have i believe only 115-120GB)

thinking about that: it ain't that much space that can be used at that speed. bootup and windows will be very noticeable faster.
but you will eventually be running out of space and you will start to install more and more on the Data drive.
SSD's are expensive in Price per gigabyte.
so i want RAID0 because it is affordable with a high capacity and you can see the difference when opening files compared to a single drive.
here is some benchmarks that shows single vs RAID0 AND vs SSD. clearly the SSD takes the cake, but 2'nd place goes to RAID0
SSD VS HDD RAID -0 VS Single HDD Comparison - [H]ard|Forum

but again if you don't need that extra speed and want to save some money, go with a single drive.
I would just have gotten RAID0, but you don't have to.
Hmmm... I only plan on installing a few things on the SSD. Windows 7 of course, Adobe CS6, Skyrim and maybe a few other things. The rest I wanted to put on the HDD anyway.

Do you guys think I need another, faster HDD?

I think I shot myself in the foot with the 2TB drive. I should have gotten 2 1TB. Buuut it was a 4th of July sale and it was 37% percent off.
northtracks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 09:41 AM   #20
Fully Optimized
 
BikerEcho's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Denmark
Posts: 4,013
Default Re: Game build

when you are saying faster HDD. do you then mean 1 faster harddrive or an extra HDD for RAID0?
if you are talking about 1 new faster sangle harddrive then i will say no. all 7200RPM harddrives is almost as fast as each other.
then you will need a 10.000RPM harddrive. those drives are more expensive and is noticeable louder.

if you are talking about an extra 7200RPM Harddrive for RAID0, i will again say I personal would have gotten 2x haddrives for RAID0.
But it's your call. it's not as much that you NEED it, because you don't NEED it. it's just a wonder to have.

a thing that just crossed my mind: sens you have a motherboard with a chipset greater then z68, you can set that SSD in caching.
it will make the SSD drive a buffer for recently used data.
so everything you use often will it remember, and that data will be read from the SSD.
you wont be able to install anything in the SSD yourself but it will make everything you use faster.
it could be a thing to consider doing.

look at this:
__________________

BikerEcho is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:22 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0