Fury-X ain't so great

jarlmaster

In Runtime
Fury-X is here and it impresses on paper but disappoints in real world applications. HBM is awesome. AMD has really cooked up something cool here. A short pcb because all the memory is stacked near the gpu die? Genius. Dat 4096 bit bus tho. 512 GB of effective memory bandwith... much wow.

But this is more of just a proof of concept in my opinion. It performs about the same as a stock 980ti while drawing more power and not being very overclockable at the exact same price point. Disappointing considering the awesome AIO liquid cooler it comes with.

What do you guys think?

As far as I can tell after reading about it, the true 4K performance comes from the display port instead of the HDMI which is 1.4 instead of 2.0.

HBM is a brand new thing, it will evolve with time. We'll see faster mem clocks and such eventually, it's allllll evolution.

However bare in mind the GPU has 4096 stream processors, that's more streams than the Titan X has CUDA cores. It seems it's been designed to sit between the 980 and the 980Ti in both price and performance, and it does that just fine!

I just expect bigger and better is all. Like I said its a proof of concept. HBM is new and being figured out but I just expected more is all. Nvidia's next GPU (Pascal?) is going to be a big one. I guarantee it.

I'm a bit disappointed that the Fury X comes in at almost the same price as the GTX980 Ti, HBM or not; i'd still rather have the Nvidia card. I was hoping the Fury X was going to come in significantly cheaper than the Ti to sway me towards that when Skylake build time looms... looking unlikely at this point unless the custom PCB versions of the Fury Pro turn out to be the new midrange goliaths.

I have to say i am also disappointed.
AMD is joining the fight of this generation of GPU's a bit late, and what they deliver is not what i had hoped.
High TDP, re-branded graphic cards, forced water cooling solution on high end card (as of now) and barely anything that stands out. They have ZERO wow-factor (other than their bandwidth). And Nvidia is already half a year in front of AMD with their series of GPU's.

Last edited:
Fiji is an amazing GPU performance-wise, it's a shame the rest of the 300 series lineup don't contain it...

I also don't understand how they manage to get the TDP that high...25W higher than the Titan X. The Titan has 3 times the amount of memory, a longer and more complex PCB, more VRMs and faster core and memory clocks. How?!

you'd think by now somebody at AMD's Radeon division would have gotten ahold of one of Nvidia's GTX 900 series and had a look inside to get some ideas :L

Darkseeker.
If it is such a great GPU, Where is the wow factor? I don't see it.
Standing between the 980 and 980ti at the price point of the ti version, doesn't scream innovation to me. (not to mention the wattage needed to achieve this performance)

The way I see it, they haven't released a driver for the GPU specifically yet, so people should just hold their horses for a little while, especially considering this is a rather different GPU overall.

Back
Top Bottom