FTP And Optimum

mayorredbeard

Daemon Poster
I want to setup an FTP server, but I have a little problem. I was talking to a friend who knows a friend who's service got capped by Optimum Online after they found out he was operating an FTP which is apparently in violation of their terms of use.

I have not been able to find this 'alleged terms of use', but has anyone else have this service with some knowledge on the subject? One reason I don't take his word for it is because it came from a 'friend of a friend'.

It's possible it happened depending on how it's set up, and how much traffic it gets. If it's a LAN only FTP that is not using your internet at all, then your fine. However, if its something that anyone anywhere can access and download stuff, if it's too active you'll eat up your area's bandwidth and companies don't like that on residential lines.

I was thinking of something I could personally use. I currently use a Flash Drive and swap files off that daily at work, home, and school. So it gets kind of annoying.

The FTP would be just for me, and my roommate. This would be the first time I've done something like this, but couldn't I just limit the Upload/Download rate of the FTP?

I'm sure you could, and If it's only two people, I see no issue with it. However, being that it would need to be internet accessible, I would contact your ISP to make sure that you are not breaking any terms.

Back
Top Bottom