FSB speed

dbzkid

In Runtime
what is that like my teacher was talking to me about this, like he said your cpu could be 3 ghz but if the fsb is 200 mhz it will only allow 200 mhz of processor speed, can anyone explain this a bit more

Ok well heres what i can say about it pretty much
Fsb is the way the processor speaks to the rest of the compenents in laymans terms
processor speed e.g. is calculated by the Fsb times a multiplier on the cpu chip
so e.g.
200 times by X = 3000
The X would be 15 so your cpu multiplier is 15 so data is sent and taken from the processor at 200mhz , then data is processed at 3000mhz on the processor

At least i hope that is right cos thats what i wrote for my computing homework :D

Ok well heres what i can say about it pretty much
Fsb is the way the processor speaks to the rest of the compenents in laymans terms
processor speed e.g. is calculated by the Fsb times a multiplier on the cpu chip
so e.g.
200 times by X = 3000
The X would be 15 so your cpu multiplier is 15 so data is sent and taken from the processor at 200mhz , then data is processed at 3000mhz on the processor

At least i hope that is right cos thats what i wrote for my computing homework :D

thats right

wat about if u got a AMD cpu wit an onchip mem controller does it depend on the hyperthreading speed? just asking and making use of the thread before it goes byby

wat about if u got a AMD cpu wit an onchip mem controller does it depend on the hyperthreading speed? just asking and making use of the thread before it goes byby

Yeah but hyper transport is just the stupid AMD way of saying FSB but it does do some other things as well but we dont need to worry about them if you do wanna read about it just read the wikipedia article here
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HyperTransport its a lot more complicated than just the FSB but that i sone of the things it does

As for the memory on the Amd chips thats calculated by
Cpu speed divided by the FSB: Dram so if you have a FSB: Dram of cpu/6 like me with an athlon X2 4000=(2100mhz)
You get
2100 Divide by 6 = 350 , so my ram only uns at 350mhz ddr so in all 700mhz rather than 800mhz
To get the Ram back up to 800 in theory i would have to OC to 2.4Ghz i think
cos like 400 times 6 = 2400

Back
Top Bottom