frustrated...

Audiophile1

Solid State Member
Ok, so im new to this message board...but i need help figuring something out. I will try to explain things best i can.

Last year i built my own computer with the following specs
Asus K8V SE Deluxe
AMD 64 3000+
Ultra 512MB RAM
nVidia 5700 LE
Maxtor 40 gig 7200 rpm

Early this year i purchase another 512 mb ram stick..THATS when the problems began. Right away the computer locked up in the middle of one of my games. I restarted it, thinking it was a fluke, but then it did it again. Finally i removed it thinking it was bad, and let it sit for 3 months until i was reading on the internet and i found out about memtest86. So i download that, created a bootable disk, ran it...finds no errors in just my 512 setup... so then i took my newest 512, stuck it in, then ran it again... no errors. Following that i was able to run Prime95 for 8 hours with no errors. Yet today while i was playing BF1942 it locked up on me. I restarted the computer, tried again, and it did the same thing. Something that might also be worth mention is the fact that right before it locks up, something inside my computer chirps.

So yeah...there ya have it. Can someone PLEASE give me some idea of what the crap is wrong with my computer?

Does anyone have

could it be a fault with the game? if there arent errors being found, and other games are running okay, it should work...

Well....2 different games.

First game was Madden 2005

todays game was BF1942: Secret Weapons of WWII

The chirp is a mystery. Open the case and see if you can find it.
If the machine runs ok with 512 ram I would run it that way. I have heard that XP with some memory/mobo's it doesn't like 1 gig of memory. You might ctc ASUS with the problem as it may be the mobo won't really support all the ram.

Ok...so i fooled around with the slots they were in... and then i ran memtest, no errors, then i ran prime95 on the most RAM intensive torture test....again no errors. I havent had a chance to try a game yet tho.

So per... it might be a mobo problem and not a ram problem? I guess i didnt think about that one. Maybe if this doesnt fix it ill give contacting Asus a try then.

thanks for the suggestions guys!

Look at this opinion of a k8v se deluxe owner:

2) install memory sticks in spaces 1 and 3, not 1 and 2 as it says in the motherboard manual. The Corsair folks were very sincere about this and they said the the white papers on the Athlon 3200 state this clearly.

Have you checked your RAM for compatibility? Meaning they all run at the same speed, and same manufacturer? RAM can be picky at times and to play it safe, I always buy all my RAM sticks from the same company.

Ok...so my ram is stuck in slots 1 and 3.. i was able to run prime 95 no problem for about 12 hours before i needed the computer for something so i had to shut it of... I havent tried playing a game yet tho.

Both my sticks of ram are made by Ultra (im wishing i would have got kingston or corsair instead ::rolls eyes:: ) and both are pc3200. And i know for a fact that my mobo supports that type.

And as for the programming of the games... I guess i dont really know. The first time it locked up 4 months ago it was during Madden 2005. Yesterday it was during Battlefield 1942. One game i havent had lock up yet, tho, has been NFS Underground 2. So i dont know. Its all just frustrating. Maybe someday in the future ill have the money to drop on an Alienware :p

Back
Top Bottom