Friend's new build extremely slow

GhostGT

Daemon Poster
Built it about a week ago. Apparently this started a few days ago... EVERYTHING he does is slow. He starts up the computer and waits a few minutes in order to use it. Clicking on Windows Media Player, he'll leave his desk and make coffee and come back, and it will still be opening up.

Any ideas at all? I'm not by the computer, so I cannot personally check what this might be at the moment.

Chris

Specs?

It could be a number of things. The HDD seems a pretty good explanation.
try benching it with HDtune.
also, try a memtest.

have him watch the cpu usage next time he opens wmp.

Hard drive could be dieing. My friend's computer acted really slowly at times when it was on it's way out.

Or he managed to load his PC up with a bunch of viruses within that week.

Sorry for the lack of information.

All I know is the CPU is a Q9300 and he's running Windows 7.

I spoke to him a few minutes ago and this is exactly what he told me:

"It's fine now. For some reason nothing is lagging anymore. And also, the only things lagging are WINDOWS programs... ex. Internet Explorer, WMP, Defrag, Disk Cleanup, etc.. When I open up Firefox, it loads up perfectly and quickly."

Apparently it is all fine now, but I told him to keep his eye on it. Also, I told him to download Coretemp and check his temperatures... I had a hunch about high temps.

Temps:

63*
58*
60*
5x*

This is while computer was playing WMP and on Firefox; nothing more.

Maybe this is an overheating problem...

Those are too high for idle. Tell him to make sure the heatsink is secured and re-seat if it is.

Also, have him listen to the hard drive for any clicking noises.

Will do.

He places his tower in a concealed desk cabinet in his room; I told him to try removing it and checking the temperatures as there is no air current in there at the moment.

I will also have him run the mem/hd tests.

after thats done and it checks out with decent temps
then i would have him fix he cabinet so that air WILL flow
i would go for a mesh/cloth door and back pannel to allow good air flow
and it might also work as an air cleaner :D

Back
Top Bottom