Go Back   Computer Forums > General Computing > Hardware
Click Here to Login
Join Computer forums Today

Old 10-17-2005, 07:19 PM   #1
Fully Optimized

Default Fried Mobo or power supply?

I hooked up the power supply wrong (that was stupid), and now the computer will power up but won't start up nor will it show anything on the monitor. I'm wondering if this problem is of the power supply or the motherboard. I can't check it out b/c I don't have another power supply that fits the kind of slot that that mobo uses (I forgot what it's called, but it's the one piece rectangle connector). I would rather buy a $30 power supply for it than trash another mobo.
Thanks

Jesusfrk611 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2005, 07:28 PM   #2
BSOD

Send a message via AIM to JustinMcG67 Send a message via MSN to JustinMcG67 Send a message via Yahoo to JustinMcG67
Default Re: Fried Mobo or power supply?

More and more people are having this problem with that 12V connector. Just buy a 300W PSU for like 30 bucks off NewEgg.com that supports the 12V plug in. And you'll be good to go.

JustinMcG67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2005, 10:25 PM   #3
Fully Optimized

Note to 1337DuD3: this isn't about the same mobo as in my other post, although it is kind of the same prob, not exactly.

I will try the power supply off my other comp first (I just remembered I had one but am not sure if it works or not). If that doesn't work then I will just go and get a new one.
Jesusfrk611 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2005, 11:50 PM   #4
BSOD

Send a message via AIM to JustinMcG67 Send a message via MSN to JustinMcG67 Send a message via Yahoo to JustinMcG67

Well you have a Pentium 4 correct? If that's the case then you have to make sure the small square connector is plugged in. Also you need I think at least 300W of power. So check both those then report back and I'll help you out or someone else will if I don't get back to you in time...
Old 10-17-2005, 11:53 PM   #5
Fully Optimized

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesusfrk611
I hooked up the power supply wrong (that was stupid), and now the computer will power up but won't start up nor will it show anything on the monitor. I'm wondering if this problem is of the power supply or the motherboard. I can't check it out b/c I don't have another power supply that fits the kind of slot that that mobo uses (I forgot what it's called, but it's the one piece rectangle connector). I would rather buy a $30 power supply for it than trash another mobo.
Thanks
How did you hook it up wrong?
GPU-MSI GeForce 6600 GT(PCI Express)~~Monitor Viewsonic VA902B 19" 8ms~~ ATI TV Wonder Pro (TV Tuner)
~~Still to come~~: eVGA e-GeForce 7800 GT
Dishdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2005, 11:58 PM   #6
Daemon Poster

Send a message via AIM to BigLu

Dishdog, that's exactly what i was wondering. They make it so that you cannot mess it up by connecting it wrong, unless you plugged it into a wall socket or something.
BigLu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2005, 12:00 AM   #7
BSOD

Ok, maybe you did this, because I know TONS of people who have done this.

Is your monitor plugged in?
Is your Hard Drives connected?

Now the first one is the one I'm mainly referring to. I'[ve done all kinds of stupid things when I was excited because I got new parts and had to install and what not. I thought I fryed all kinds of junk at one point in time because my power cable wasn't plugged in, or my monitor wasn't plugged in all the way or something...Just check all the really easy things, that's more then likly it.