Fried Laptop, what do i do with it?

tripleyeti

Beta member
I have an alienware m7700 and it died while I was playing Halo 1. I took it in and the guy said it was fried but when I power it on the cd drive still opens and the leds on it still work. Could I buy just a couple of parts and get it working, or is it done?

It's probably he motherboard, in which case you could replace it, but it will be pretty costly.

'fried' can mean a lot of things. Get a more specific answer.

I'm sure you could probably buy a new motherboard, power supply, etc, but for the money you would have to spend on that you could buy a brand new laptop. What exactly are the symptoms? I've found fixes for a few laptops by googling the model with the symptoms. If it don't work now, taking it apart couldn't hurt.

I'm sure you could probably buy a new motherboard, power supply, etc, but for the money you would have to spend on that you could buy a brand new laptop. What exactly are the symptoms? I've found fixes for a few laptops by googling the model with the symptoms. If it don't work now, taking it apart couldn't hurt.

When I turn it on the 3 blue leds turn and and the alien on the back of the screen turns blue as normal. The cd drive makes a noise and I can open it by just clicking the open button. But that's all it does.

I would make a note of every noise it makes (count the beeps, if any), anything that is displayed on the screen and every light that comes on and google it (or I suppose you could post it here) along with the laptop model name/number. Be as specific as possible. It could be something as simple as reseating/replacing the memory. Most likely it is a motherboard issue, though. Good luck...

Back
Top Bottom