freestyler's build work log

Damn. Alright. I've spent a good amount of time trying to get this thing to work, and I finally figured it out. It's all set up outside of the case right now, I had so many problems I didn't know what to do. Here's an extremely incomplete list of some of the problems I had to fix:

- Video card wasn't seated right. And I got no beep codes whatsoever while it wasn't, so I had no idea what the problem was.

- HSF (that Tuniq Tower is huge) was touching something on the motherboard, causing a short.

- The motherboard wasn't recognizing the Tuniq Tower as being a fan, so I had to go into the BIOS and set the fan speed to ignore, and it just did it's thing by itself.

- It wouldn't go into the BIOS and I was getting an error about the CMOS Checksum being bad. I tried resetting the CMOS like 20 times, but it did nothing. The problem ended up being the motherboard was touching the case, and apparently that makes it short out. So I have no idea how the hell I'm supposed to get it to stay mounted in the case eventually, I guess I have to go buy some plastic washers or something. And not to mention out of the 6 types of screws they gave me, I could only get them to fit in 2 out of six holes without putting extreme stress and bending on the motherboard

- And I still can't find where to plug in the fan controller for the Tuniq Tower...

And last but most certainly not least, I have a bad stick of RAM. I had to get around all of the above and more before finally getting to a Windows installation screen, and then I got a BSOD. I forgot what the error was, but one of the suggestions on a site was bad RAM, so I did a Memtest from a bootable CD, and I got about a million errors in under a minute. So I guess I have to RMA it, which sucks, because I have to wait another week to get the part again. Is there any way I can just send back 1 stick?

I'm thinking I'll just get the RAM replaced, hopefully it works this time. Any recommendations besides those Corsair sticks if I just get a refund?

Really? I was thinking the Corsair, cause it's like a better brand name and everything. But the G.Skill has lower timings, right? Can you explain why it would be better, I've never OCed before, I don't know all that much about it.

I'm thinking I'll pick up a cheap 512 MB stick from like Circuit City in the meantime...if I do that, will I need to repair/reinstall Windows?

Bad luck on the ram. Interesting topic this tho, im new to all the diff types of ram ( as u can see by the type of ram i have ;) ) so its nice to see what types are out there and which are decent

Anubis1980 said:
Bad luck on the ram. Interesting topic this tho, im new to all the diff types of ram ( as u can see by the type of ram i have ;) ) so its nice to see what types are out there and which are decent
Yeah, it sucks. The other stick works perfectly though, the computer is folding right now in the other room. Goes so much faster than on this computer (the X2 3800+), 20,000 steps (out of the 20,000,000 step units) takes 15 minutes as opposed to an hour!

Anyway, I contacted Newegg Customer Support to see if they'd let me just RMA one of the sticks. They probably won't, but it's worth a try.

freestyler105 said:
Really? I was thinking the Corsair, cause it's like a better brand name and everything. But the G.Skill has lower timings, right? Can you explain why it would be better, I've never OCed before, I don't know all that much about it.

I'm thinking I'll pick up a cheap 512 MB stick from like Circuit City in the meantime...if I do that, will I need to repair/reinstall Windows?

no you dont have to repair or reinstall..

sounds like you ran into a slew of problems, good job on sorting them.

LambOfGod said:
no you dont have to repair or reinstall..

sounds like you ran into a slew of problems, good job on sorting them.
Yeah, it was my first ever build, so I was pretty proud that I sorted it all out. Still no word back from newegg, hopefully they reply soon...

Any other opinions on which RAM to get?

I had the same problem with the same exact ram. 1 stick would not post for me no matter what I did, but the other stick worked fine. Got it exchanged and still running them right now.

Back
Top Bottom