Freaking DVD drive!!!

D-Lew

Fully Optimized
I was talking about this with Arrizx earlier and we were unable to come up with a good solution to it. This post is a freaking book but I believe you will find all the details to be very odd. Here's the deal...

Whenever I double-click a DVD in the drive, explorer.exe locks up and therefore "My Computer" locks up. Ending task requires sitting there for 5 minutes waiting for explorer to restart or starting the process manually.

Naturally, I've downloaded firmware updates, tried to disable and reinstall the drivers, done system restores to like 3 months ago, failing on all counts.

I was unable to burn isos to the volume because of some error which I can't remember and can't really recover (we'll go over that in a sec).

However, iTunes was able to recognize that there is a blank disc in the drive, and right now I can see the Oblivion icon and a DVD which uses 4.16GB or whatever it was, but it still doesn't work. Here's the funny part. At this moment I'm typing from a clean machine. I freaking formatted my entire computer trying to get this thing to work. I backed up everything I needed but that's beside the point. All I've done is install a couple display/networking drivers and antivirus software, but it's still locking up, all this work for nothing. I have been trying to fix it since about 24 hours ago and haven't gotten anywhere. So tell me...

Does anyone have the slightest idea what might be wrong here?

Sounds like a bad drive, or an incompatible one. Do you have an extra drive you can test to be sure?

Hey, what brand was the drive? Better yet, can you find it on Newegg or something, because it would be good to know. That sounds like a really crappy drive for only being half a year old.

Like I suggested previously, try a different drive if you have one available, or try that drive in another computer. That should eliminate a lot of doubt.

It's a Samsung SH-S182M I believe.

Also you guys may be surprised to know, I booted the XP CD on this drive and formatted/installed everything from there.

sounds dead to me... i had an old memorex drive i've had FOREVER and it just stopped reading anything... luckily my other computer had 2

It's a Samsung SH-S182M I believe.

Also you guys may be surprised to know, I booted the XP CD on this drive and formatted/installed everything from there.

Erm, this is kinda weird.

I would try a different cable if you have one laying around. I had to use this old grey IDE ribbon that came with the drive, it would not accept anything else and explorer.exe would lock up unless I switched back. This may not be your issue, since you formatted with it though.

Back
Top Bottom