Go Back   Computer Forums > General Computing > Hardware
Click Here to Login
Join Computer forums Today

Old 12-17-2007, 08:32 PM   #1
Fully Optimized

Send a message via AIM to D-Lew
Default Freaking DVD drive!!!

I was talking about this with Arrizx earlier and we were unable to come up with a good solution to it. This post is a freaking book but I believe you will find all the details to be very odd. Here's the deal...

Whenever I double-click a DVD in the drive, explorer.exe locks up and therefore "My Computer" locks up. Ending task requires sitting there for 5 minutes waiting for explorer to restart or starting the process manually.

Naturally, I've downloaded firmware updates, tried to disable and reinstall the drivers, done system restores to like 3 months ago, failing on all counts.

I was unable to burn isos to the volume because of some error which I can't remember and can't really recover (we'll go over that in a sec).

However, iTunes was able to recognize that there is a blank disc in the drive, and right now I can see the Oblivion icon and a DVD which uses 4.16GB or whatever it was, but it still doesn't work. Here's the funny part. At this moment I'm typing from a clean machine. I freaking formatted my entire computer trying to get this thing to work. I backed up everything I needed but that's beside the point. All I've done is install a couple display/networking drivers and antivirus software, but it's still locking up, all this work for nothing. I have been trying to fix it since about 24 hours ago and haven't gotten anywhere. So tell me...

Does anyone have the slightest idea what might be wrong here?

D-Lew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2007, 08:41 PM   #2
Fully Optimized

Send a message via AIM to FlightSimBoy
Default Re: Freaking DVD drive!!!

Sounds like a bad drive, or an incompatible one. Do you have an extra drive you can test to be sure?

My Computer: eMachines T5226 - Intel Pentium D Dual Core @ 3 GHz - Diamond Viper Radeon HD3870 OC Edition with 1 GB GDDR3 VRAM - 4 GB PQi Turbo DDR2-533 RAM - Corsair 650W PSU with 52A on single rail - TSSTcorp DVD-DL+-RW combo drive - Lite-on 52x CD-RW burner - Creative SoundBlaster X-Fi XtremeGamer - Logitech z5300e speakers - WinFast TV Tuner - Vista Ultimate 64-Bit. eBay name: Flightsimboy304
FlightSimBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2007, 08:49 PM   #3
Golden Master

Send a message via AIM to Cabbs

I've had this happen, it was when drive died.
Old 12-17-2007, 08:52 PM   #4
Golden Master

Yeah, how old is the drive? Only thing I can think of is it's dying.
Old 12-17-2007, 08:54 PM   #5
Fully Optimized

It's about half a year old I think, virtually brand new.
Old 12-17-2007, 08:58 PM   #6
Fully Optimized

Hey, what brand was the drive? Better yet, can you find it on Newegg or something, because it would be good to know. That sounds like a really crappy drive for only being half a year old.

Like I suggested previously, try a different drive if you have one available, or try that drive in another computer. That should eliminate a lot of doubt.
My Computer: eMachines T5226 - Intel Pentium D Dual Core @ 3 GHz - Diamond Viper Radeon HD3870 OC Edition with 1 GB GDDR3 VRAM - 4 GB PQi Turbo DDR2-533 RAM - Corsair 650W PSU with 52A on single rail - TSSTcorp DVD-DL+-RW combo drive - Lite-on 52x CD-RW burner - Creative SoundBlaster X-Fi XtremeGamer - Logitech z5300e speakers - WinFast TV Tuner - Vista Ultimate 64-Bit. eBay name: Flightsimboy304
Old 12-17-2007, 08:59 PM   #7
Fully Optimized

It's a Samsung SH-S182M I believe.

Also you guys may be surprised to know, I booted the XP CD on this drive and formatted/installed everything from there.
Old 12-17-2007, 09:29 PM   #8
Fully Optimized

Ok, according to this site: http://www.extrememhz.com/shs182m-p1.shtml your drive is "sheer pleasure"

So, I have no idea short of a bad drive.
Old 12-17-2007, 09:41 PM   #9
Fully Optimized

Send a message via AIM to _-..zKiLLA..-_

sounds dead to me... i had an old memorex drive i've had FOREVER and it just stopped reading anything... luckily my other computer had 2
Old 12-17-2007, 09:43 PM   #10
Golden Master

Send a message via AIM to Cabbs

Quote:
Originally Posted by D-Lew View Post
It's a Samsung SH-S182M I believe.

Also you guys may be surprised to know, I booted the XP CD on this drive and formatted/installed everything from there.
Erm, this is kinda weird.

I would try a different cable if you have one laying around. I had to use this old grey IDE ribbon that came with the drive, it would not accept anything else and explorer.exe would lock up unless I switched back. This may not be your issue, since you formatted with it though.