The four different types of software installations?

Toby1

Daemon Poster
Okay so I have this assignment due and it asks me to describe the four different types of software installation... And their advantages and disadvantages. I've looked on Google and Wiki - everywhere, so I've kind of come here as a last resort.

Manual software installations
Imaged Installation
Software-assisted installation
Scripted installation

This is what I put so far, I'm not sure if it's right... so I wouldn't mind some help please.

Imaged Installation: This type of installation is very useful if there has been some data loss or corruption because what Imaged Installation does is it creates a disk image (computer file, usually an ISO) containing the complete contents and structure of a data storage medium or device. It is also good if a user wants to “ghost” their computer back to its original state - similar to a reformat. Disadvantages of this type of installation is that it's usually only good once (depending on when and how the image file is saved).

Software-assisted installation: This is usually where you have access to a setup file (installer) and have to execute it, run through its GUI instructions, and then it will finish installing itself (usually requires a restart of a computer). This is the most commonly used type of installation. Its advantages are that it's quick, easy to understand. Disadvantages are that it's not as customisable as a manual or scripted installation would be.

Scripted installation: This type of installation is done using the command prompt and a series of scripts. Advantages are that it can be quicker and more customisable when installing an application this way. Disadvantages are that this type of installation is only recommended for more experienced users.

Like I said, I'm not sure if those are even right, and I have no idea what to put for the "Manual Installation" paragraph. Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance, Toby.

PS: Anyone know where I can find a good example of a software logbook cause' I kind of need one for another assignment.

Toby said:
...... and I have no idea what to put for the "Manual Installation" paragraph. Any help would be much appreciated....
How about 'User interaction dependent" as opposed to unassisted installs e.g. slipstreamed disks.

DILLIGAF said:
How about 'User interaction dependent" as opposed to unassisted installs e.g. slipstreamed disks.

Hmmm... see, to me, Manual and Scripted installs seem like the same thing. They both require user interaction to be executed.

Back
Top Bottom