Go Back   Computer Forums > General Computing > Hardware
Join Computer forums Today

Old 07-11-2010, 05:23 AM   #1
Solid State Member
Default Formatting my PC

I have an old XP PC and I want to get rid of it. Before I get rid of it how do I delete everything of it? Do I 'format' it and how do I do that?

Dajaro7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2010, 06:22 AM   #2
Fully Optimized
Default Re: Formatting my PC

It depends on how delicate the information on the drive is.

If you just want to simply clear it for use again then a format will do. Note that even after a format there is software/hardware that can retrieve data from the drive. If you want to completely remove the information then the best thing to do is to pull apart the drive and completely wreck the platters with anything you can find in your toolbox. It will render the drive useless but know one will be able to retrieve data from the drive.

Lenovo ThinkPad T410 - i7 620M - 8GB RAM - Crucial M4 120GB SSD - 250GB 2nd drive - Intel HD 3000 GPU - 1440x900 - Windows 7/8
REMENIZ Computers
Remeniz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2010, 08:11 AM   #3
Site Team

If you want to keep the computer intact and sell it, use DBAN. This will destroy all the data on the drive and not just 'format.' Then you can install XP back on it and sell the pc to make a little scrilla instead of smashing up a harddrive and having a useless box. Download DBAN, burn to a cd, boot from the cd, and nuke the drive. If you have questions, let us know.
Humans are the only creatures that won't live up to the their potential. Give everything your all. When you die, die on E.

So I ask you, what do you intend to do now?
iPwn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2010, 09:34 AM   #4
In Runtime
Send a message via MSN to Comp_Pro

You can remove the data completely by shredding the drive. There are many free programs that can do this for you, but becareful, there is no way to recover data off a shredded drive as all the sectors have been changed to 0
Intel i7 4770k 3.50ghz, 32gb Corsair Vengeance RAM (8x4 kit), 2 x 2TB WD Black HHD, nVidia 770GTX 4gb OC, Asus Z87-A Motherboard, running Windows 7 64 bit.
Comp_Pro is offline   Reply With Quote