formatting drive C

disturbed13

Daemon Poster
okay
ive used Maxtor MaxBlast and cloned my C drive to a 250 GB HDD that i slapped in there
now i want to re-format the C drive so that i can get at least 1.25 TB drive size
but it wont let me
what do i do now?
any information guys?
thanks

Since its cloned, you can use the other hard drive to boot from, correct?

Change the cables to make sure the one you don't want to delete boots.

Now right click on My Computer, and select Manage.

Select Disk Management

Now, you'll be able to select the other drive, by right clicking, and selecting to Format.

Format in NTFS, and I suggest doing a full format, and not just a quick one.

A quick one I believe, simply deletes the area of the drive that stores where all the data is, but doesn't actually remove the data itself (not that a full format does that completly anyway)

One small nuance that I'll like add:

It shouldn't really make a difference but I always leave the drive on and running for about 15 minute before formatting so that it is at operating temp when it is formatted. It seems to me this would increase reliability, but I have no evidence to prove this. Just a preference of mine.

Hmm, not thought of that. Not sure if it'd make too much of a difference though to the format itself?
Better speeds?... interesting topic really if it does...

I always made sense to me, But I don't really know if it makes a difference. Things expand as they heat up, so one would think? I also make it a habit of letting a computer warm up for about 15 minutes before doing anything. Anyway, I don't want to drag this tread too far off topic.

You can't format the PRIMARY drive when the system is up and running. Boot to the cd and go from there.

i am using maxblast
but i cant figure out how to format the Primary drive now
ive cloned the primary to a 250 GB HDD
and now i just seem to have stumbled and stumped my toe
i just dont know where to go from here
i want to do a complete re-format of the Primary drive
and hopefully it will show at least 1.25 TB as disk size available
so AR if you have any of those endless words of wisdom
is greatly appreciated

anyone?

Back
Top Bottom