Foothead, I still need a new mobo

theanimal

Baseband Member
I built my brothers computer like a year or two ago and his motherboard just died so I need to get him a new one. I can't remember what processor I put in it or what socket it is.

This is the motherboard: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...&cm_re=n82e16813128034-_-13-128-034-_-Product

It needs to have SATA, PCIe x16 slot, and PCI slot. I can figure all that out, but I don't want to order a replacement motherboard and not have the processor not fit or work.

So how can I choose a mobo for him? Is it like, as long as the mobo supports AM2 socket, then it will work, or is it...as long as the mobo supports Athlon 64 X2 / Athlon 64 / Sempron it will work. or do I HAVE to find out the processor?

Thanks much.

link fixed

and i took out the processor and cleaned off thermal paste, it's an AMD Athlon 64 X2

^ Neither of those are very good...they both have standard caps. You want solids on a motherboard. GRanted, that's hard to find on a cheap AM2 board, but it's worth it if you do.

By the way, did you use an OEM operating system? If you did, you have to buy the exact same model as the first one.

why not check to see if it's still under warranty...? the MB has a year warranty from Gigabyte IIRC...

Back
Top Bottom