Floppy Drive Not Working

DoubleJ$

Baseband Member
I recently purchased a Starlogic 3 1/2" 1.44MB Floppy Disk Drive to replace my non working floppy drive. When i installed the Starlogic drive into my computer i found that the activity light stayed on. So i looked in the troubleshooter and it said that the ribbon, or bus i think, was reversed. So, i switched it and sure enough the light went off. So i then insert a disk to try and use it and when i go to my computer and click on the floppy drive the activity light on the drive stays off and a dialog box appears saying the drive is not accessible/ready. The troubleshooter said to make sure that the power cord and ribbon are attached correctly and i am positive they are but the activity light still stays off whenever i try to read/write to a floppy. Can anyone help, this is urgent!!!!!

Hmm, yeah, this is rather weird.

It doesn't seem to be reading it, and so thats why the activity light isn't switching on.
You were right in switching the ribbons though so its not a case anymore.

Have you tried un-installing the old one and then getting it to recognise the new one?

FIX:

Go to Control Panel, System, Hardware Tab, and then Device Manager.

Open the Floppy disc drive on the list, and right click it. Select Uninstall from the list.

Now restart the system. When it starts up, it should recognise new hardware and set it up automatically. Maybe then it'll work!

I hope this helps :)

The ribbon on the floppy is opposite to the IDE ribbons. The stripe goes far side from the power plug.

But if DoubleJ$ had it the other way, the light just stayed on, which isn't right either, is it?...I wouldn't think so, unless some work the opposite with the activity light meaning power :p

I stand corrected. The stripe goes next to small power plug. Farthest away from the case side. I was thinking of the power plugs on the ide ribbons.

is the floppy you're putting in already formatted? If so, perhaps it was formatted on a 98 or higher machine. You're working with 95 and the formatting of floppy disks is slightly different. If it is blank, (or an oldie that you were planning to overwrite) you need to first format the disk which may be why you're not "accessing" it. You've solved the problem of the cable being plugged in backwards ... now you need to make sure the floppy is formatted to your particular OS.

no i bought the drive brand new and it is compatible with windows 95. The problem is i bought this one because my last one was not functioning but for different reasons. I know the interface ribbon cable is correct but is it possible the power cable isn't workign correctly? From the power supple runs a connector for my disk drive, which is plugged into that and then off that same cable is the power cable for the floppy drive. Is this set up correctly or am i doing something wrong?

Back
Top Bottom