Flashing the BIOS?

winterfreshpwnz

Fully Optimized
I want to flash my BIOS since I haven't updated them at all, and my comp is about 7 months old now. But I'm really not too sure how to do it. I know it involves booting from a floppy, I think, but what is the exact procedure because I hear it can cause even more problems if you mess up. I already downloaded the new BIOS so I have the file, but what now? Oh and the specs are in my sig.

edit: doh, I just realized I put this in the social lounge by accident, can a mod move it to the general board? thanks.

Boot under DOS and have the file and flash program into a floppy.

Then type (eg: AMIFLASH331 07549)

then it should flash

But, Flash only if your computer needs to be updated on some hardware or if it doesn't work well. Although,
it's always good to keep BIOS updated

lhuser said:
Boot under DOS and have the file and flash program into a floppy.

Then type (eg: AMIFLASH331 07549)

then it should flash

But, Flash only if your computer needs to be updated on some hardware or if it doesn't work well. Although,
it's always good to keep BIOS updated

What flash program? I don't have one on my computer, nor do I know where to get one.

I advise you not to flash it, you mess it up and you will be paying for a new motherboard. In all the 20 or more years I've owned a computer, I have never seen the need to flash the bios.

lhuser said:
The flash program is an EXE file that will make your BIOS flash

lol I didn't ask what the program was, I just asked where to get one, but whatever I probably won't do it anyway with all the things you guys are saying.

Let me add to Wombat's warning.
A bios flash will NOT make your computer do anything different nor will it add any new functions. A bios flash/upgrade is only used when the board maker advises to do so. They do this if and when they happen to find a bad bit of code in the bios coding that is causing a problem. I would agree with Wombat 100% and add if you screw it up you're going to have an exspencive center piece for your coffee table.

or a paperweight
bios flashing should only be used as an absolute last resort to try and fix something that may not be working right that the manufacturer has released a bios update for.
If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

Back
Top Bottom