Go Back   Computer Forums > General Computing > Hardware
Click Here to Login
Join Computer forums Today

Old 08-15-2009, 01:16 PM   #1
Fully Optimized

Send a message via AIM to _-..zKiLLA..-_
Default FLAC Codek

where do i get this? the one that is at the flacs website doesn't work for some reason and gives me an error. but what i dot get is doesn't the combined community codek pack have a flac codek? i have that installed but i still cant play flac

Old 08-15-2009, 03:15 PM   #2
Daemon Poster

Send a message via AIM to wmorri
Default Re: FLAC Codek

Hi,

I am guessing that you downloaded the flac codec from here. I would also have a look at using FLAC. It should help you out some.

Cheers!

I thought you were a hispanic/african american? Who is the white guy in the pictures?
wmorri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2009, 03:20 PM   #3
Daemon Poster

I always convert my flac to mp3

'"Crapbox 2.0.....Until you put Mac OS X on it, then its called a Mac Pro." -cavemangrinder

"You were sick, but now you're well again, and there's work to do." - Kurt Vonnegut
hemp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2009, 04:25 PM   #4
Site Team

Quote:
I always convert my flac to mp3
Do you now... and how is that at all relevant?!

If you just want to play the odd FLAC track I'd personally download / install VLC which will play almost any format out there, including FLAC
berry120 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2009, 06:45 PM   #5
Fully Optimized

Ehh nevermind guys. it was only cuz i couldn't find an album in anyhting other then flac but i found it. thanks tho. i normally dont download flac
Old 08-16-2009, 08:24 AM   #6
Golden Master

Send a message via MSN to Kage

I love Flac, and would rip everything into it, if I could.
I don't like the way websites simply offered MP3's at 320kpbs or less, and get you to pay as much as it would a CD version that is a lot higher quality.

You may not of heard of a format called Ogg Vorbis, but it is better than MP3 at lower bitrates, and sounds better to me at higher bitrates too.

I tested between a FLAC and a OGG Vorbis (both free codecs) file, of a Genesis song called 'Firth Of Fifth', with the Ogg Vorbis at a much higher bitrate than you can get with MP3, at 500kbps.

Now, using a piece of software called ABX, which allows you to listen to two sources and compare them, and has a feature to test how well you can hear, with random X and Y tests, I managed to hear a difference between the FLAC and the 500kbps Ogg Vorbis.
It was noticable enough, that after 17 tests, I had only gotten 2 wrong, and had achieved a guessing rate of 0.1%
Old 08-16-2009, 09:47 AM   #7
Site Team

Quote:
I love Flac, and would rip everything into it, if I could.
As storage capacity goes up and up, I honestly think in a few years FLAC or a similar format will become the norm instead of mp3 / m4a / whatever.

It really is a shame ogg vorbis isn't a more popular format, it's a much better codec than mp3 and doesn't have all the legal restrictions mp3 does. Still, with all the backing and popularity that's behind it I doubt it's going anywhere soon...
berry120 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2009, 02:45 PM   #8
Golden Master

If Flac became the norm for digital downloads, I'd buy albums online, but with MP3 being the norm at the moment, I just don't see the point.
Some artists are offering Flac's but not many.

I know the difference isn't THAT noticable depending on bitrate when played seperately, but playing them together, to me at least, proves MP3's/and even OGG Vorbis cannot compete in quality. For every day listening though, I understand how MP3 is used, and as long as the bitrate is 192kbps at the lowest, it should be fine for most.
Old 08-16-2009, 03:36 PM   #9
Fully Optimized

Well i do have my stereo hooked up through SPDIF so i could probably tell the difference between quality. Kage can you help me install a codek that will work? maybe with windows media player or itunes? i hate having more then those 2 media players
Old 08-16-2009, 03:48 PM   #10
Golden Master

Install this, and FLAC and OGG will both run in Windows Media Player Or at least they should

http://www.xiph.org/dshow/