Go Back   Computer Forums > General Computing > Hardware
Click Here to Login
Join Computer forums Today

Old 07-27-2004, 09:54 PM   #1
Baseband Member

Send a message via AIM to malakian88
Question Fixing a friend's comp

Hello. I have been trying to fix my friends computer and one problem has got me totally confused. His CPU usage just skyrockets when just two programs are open... even ones that use small amounts of memory. Could this be caused by a worm? With his system, it doesn't seem like it would be the hardware. Has anyone else seen this problem? Thanx

I know this much about his system
--------
512 MB DDR RAM
1.5 P4
40GB Maxtor

malakian88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2004, 10:37 PM   #2
entity512

Default Re: Fixing a friend's comp

Maybe the lil 1.5 cant handle it i guess. What are the two programs?
Old 07-27-2004, 11:18 PM   #3
BSOD

Send a message via ICQ to bluto

Quote:
Originally Posted by malakian88
Hello. I have been trying to fix my friends computer and one problem has got me totally confused. His CPU usage just skyrockets when just two programs are open... even ones that use small amounts of memory. Could this be caused by a worm? With his system, it doesn't seem like it would be the hardware. Has anyone else seen this problem? Thanx

I know this much about his system
--------
512 MB DDR RAM
1.5 P4
40GB Maxtor

You said it,so scan for worms.
http://housecall.trendmicro.com/hous...start_corp.asp
bluto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2004, 01:26 AM   #4
Baseband Member

Lol, true. Next time I'm over I'm gunna run a scan for worms etc. I've already removed spyware and adware with several programs... so his computer is good for all that. I just checked with one of my other friends who has a very similar system and he doesn't have any trouble running more than 2 programs (for the one with the problem, it doesn't really matter what programs... its just kind of spazzes no matter what the normal CPU usage would be). So most likely he has a worm. Hopefully its something simple-ish like that. I should be able to remove whatever's in there.

--Thanx
Old 07-28-2004, 11:11 PM   #5
BSOD

Send a message via ICQ to bluto

Quote:
Originally Posted by malakian88
Lol, true. Next time I'm over I'm gunna run a scan for worms etc. I've already removed spyware and adware with several programs... so his computer is good for all that. I just checked with one of my other friends who has a very similar system and he doesn't have any trouble running more than 2 programs (for the one with the problem, it doesn't really matter what programs... its just kind of spazzes no matter what the normal CPU usage would be). So most likely he has a worm. Hopefully its something simple-ish like that. I should be able to remove whatever's in there.

--Thanx
Not really,it's just a case of not understanding "Multitasking"
People actually think they can watch a movie and Scandisk at the same time LOL

So do some splainin "Lucy"
bluto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2004, 11:40 PM   #6
Baseband Member

eeehhh, i dont think its just a problem of not understanding certain aspects of the computer (of course, i may be wrong there could have been a program running in the background i didn't notice the first time).... but i don't know how to give an appropriate expample of whats happening. on most systems like his that i've worked on... i've had no trouble doing things that he does on his.... but his computer just sllllllooooowwwwsss down to an unhealthy level. its definitely not normal. i'm going to his house in a few days. so i'm gunna get this straightened out.