A fish out of water...

G9

Daemon Poster
...that's what this question is. In a community dominated by PC users, including myself, this question, about a Mac, might be met with hate, irrelevance, and other nasties.

But after over 850 posts of noobish questions, and absolutely no tips of helpfullness whatsoever, my brothers and sisters here at CF have always pulled through for me. ;)

Here are just a couple "questions"... please answer with your predictions.

1. Adobe is in control of the beloved Macromedia Studio and Adobe Creative Suite series. It's been over a year since CS2's release and almost a year since Studio 8's release. Will the new versions of each suite come out together to make Adobe Web Bundle 2 (currently Web Bundle [1] features Studio 8 and CS2 together in one pacakage)? And in addition to that, will they will be updated to run natively on Intel-powered Macs?

2. As most of you well know, Vista has been delayed upon delay. It will probably release Q1 or Q2 of 2007... by then Intel will have released Woodcrest, its new server processors, and the Mac Pro G6's will be in the market. But I'm wondering... will Boot Camp be a full version by then, yet capable of running Vista? Or will it be a full version just for XP, and a beta release for running Vista?

3. We all love the asthetics of the Mac look, but can say the same about the options on its innards? The hardware running the current G5's aren't exactly the latest. I'm not sure about NVIDIA's Quadro option (I don't really keep track of workstation graphics), but the standard cards (6600 and 7800) are somewhat out-dated. The 6800 replaced the 6600 as NVIDIA's midrange option, and recently the 7600 replaced the 6800. The 7800GT is probably today's 7900GT. As a PC user, you might find me naive asking all these questions, but I'd also like to know why sound cards (I haven't really tested the integrated audio on these machines... are they 7.1?), as well as integrated media card readers aren't available. Perhaps this is just me, but I like two optical drives (LightScribe, anyone?)... More hard drive options would be appreciated as well. I want to make a RAID 1 array of 2x250GB, but the closest to a RAID solution I'll get is 2x500GB, which adds over $800 to the pricetag.

^Something I posted at the Apple Official Discussions, but I wanted opinions from PC users as well... I feel also that this topic belongs here and not Operating Systems because it involves hardware, as well as software and its compatibility issues.

EDIT: Here are just a couple "questions"... please answer with your predictions.

In other words, I'm asking for your predictions/opinions.

john123 said:
um the macs run on intel processors
Are you making a reference to the first question? Sure they run intel processors, but still a lot of programs don't run natively on them... Maximum PC did a test where they took an iMac, put Boot Camp on it, and ran some programs. Because all of the applications they ran were not native to Intel Macs, they ran considerably slower (50%+) then when they ran on XP on the same computer, the iMac.

It seems like this thread is turning out more cofusing than interesting. :p

1 - yes of course it'll run native, aside from anything else I'm fairly sure the source is only written once and then compiled on the different platforms!

2 - I'd imagine it'll be beta, since they couldn't have fully tested the release before the final software (vista) is released.

3 - Macs don't tend to crash because apple have a strangle hold over the hardware that goes in them, thus it makes it more difficult to start upgrading things as and when the very very latest thing comes out, it's not really like a PC where you just rip it open and swap bits in and out as you choose,

I'm sure that macs will continue to upgrade, but I'm also sure that they'll never be bleeding edge in terms of the various cards in the them simply because you can't sell bleeding edge complete systems for what they are really worth.

I mean look that the difference in price between a absolutly new graphics card and a simillar (slightly leser) card that's been out for a few months or a year, the performance enhancements are negligable, but the cost increase is significant!

root said:
1 - yes of course it'll run native, aside from anything else I'm fairly sure the source is only written once and then compiled on the different platforms!

2 - I'd imagine it'll be beta, since they couldn't have fully tested the release before the final software (vista) is released.

3 - Macs don't tend to crash because apple have a strangle hold over the hardware that goes in them, thus it makes it more difficult to start upgrading things as and when the very very latest thing comes out, it's not really like a PC where you just rip it open and swap bits in and out as you choose,

I'm sure that macs will continue to upgrade, but I'm also sure that they'll never be bleeding edge in terms of the various cards in the them simply because you can't sell bleeding edge complete systems for what they are really worth.

I mean look that the difference in price between a absolutly new graphics card and a simillar (slightly leser) card that's been out for a few months or a year, the performance enhancements are negligable, but the cost increase is significant!

Good points... Mac also doesn't have those services/startups/registries that Windows does. I'm torn between the two OS's... despite the fact that the Mac can run both isn't the issue. I can't buy the Adobe Web Bundle on BOTH platforms, I have to purchase them seperately, see. I really don't know what to do.

Back
Top Bottom