First Time Build

Nice! This is going to be a great system. So should I go with the gold or platinum series? I think I am all set now except for the video card but I might go with the BFG GeForce 7800gtx 256mb gddr3. And I just need a really reliable power supply and to decide on which mobo to go with.

I would get the Platinum one with the 2GB. This OCZ RAM is a kick ass product, lowering timings and improving performance for 2GB kits of memory at DDR500. 2GB of memory is quickly becoming standard for gamers. Battlefield 2 fueled this need and with games like Quake 4 and F.E.A.R out, the demand for 2GB of memory will increase. Tighter timings increase performance across the board for OCZ which actually beat out a lot of their previous models.

For the video card, that BFG one will rock the house down. Good choice. Power supply, depend if you're going with SLi mode. If you do, you will need a power supply of at least 550watts minimum. I would just get a 550 watts or higher power supply. Looks like you're planning a pure gaming system.

Wow how long do you think this system will be good for? This is going to cost a bit more with taxes and all then i thought. So what are your thoughts for video card i chose and which psu should i go with.

This system should last you a long, long time, if you're not the type of person that gets too excited about new upcoming technology like Socket M2, new dual cores, DDR2 SDRAM, DDR3 SDRAM, GDDR4, third generation SATA, PCI-e second generation, and so on. You can always upgrade piece by piece when the time comes, but I'm afraid the motherboard now will undergo quite a massive change in the next few years. I can bet on that.

I estimate at least $2500 + for your system. It's still WAY cheaper than buying a pure gaming machine retail. So that will give a big boost of confidence.

That BFG 7800GTX is a super nice video card. I like eVGA too. For the power supply, I like this one:

Weekend Sale, Ends 11/14/05
Antec TruePower 2.0 TP2-550 EPS12V ATX12V 550W Power Supply 115/230 V UL, TUV, CB, FCC CLASS B, CUL - Retail
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16817103932

Oh yeah, and it's on sale right now too. I'm in love with that power supply, drool-give me some juice. Nvidia SLi certified too.

Well this system sure beats what I got now. And you can never keep up with computer technology. I was going to wait for M2 but prices would be very high and I would have to wait even longer for them to come down and by that time who knows whats going to come out. And i calculated with taxes its over 3000 CDN. I just want a nice fast system that will last for a long time. I will be using this system for gaming but I wont be a real hard core gamer. I am also going to be recording music. I just need a nice case now. I was going to get the NZXT LEXA or the NZXT Trinity. The lexa has 3 120mm fans and an 80mm fan. Will this be enough cooling? And one more question for now... I know i got lots of questions and you have been really helpful. What is Dual Gigabit LAN?

edit - I should also mention I live in Canada so I am going to order of ncix.com or tigerdirect.ca. I am not too sure if new egg ships to canada.

Dual Gigabit LAN probably just means it has 2 Ethernet LAN ports on the back of the motherboard. Usually, motherboard comes with one port, but in that case, it was two. Newegg doesn't ship to Canada which is too bad. The 3x120mm will cool it down pretty darn good. I would get that one. No need for water cooling. This build will defintely last you for 10+ years if you choose to. My mom still has her old IBM Aptiva back in 1992-4? and she still has it running all on original parts. Oh, she got a new mouse. Whoopie. It might not be able to play hardly any games on it now, but internet and basic applications still apply.

Ya I discovered it has 2 ethernet lan ports does that mean it goes faster and uses 2 ethernet connections? I am going to get a samsung lcd monitor 19 inch. I may as well get it all good if I am spending this much already. And for keyboard and mouse Ill probably go with logitech, probably not wireless because those lag in games correct? And I also am going to add another 7800gtx when the prices go down. Should I wait for the 7800gtx 512mb though?

Sorry for the late reply. Pizza man was here to drop of a couple of pizzas. Mmmm so good. The dual gigabit port won't go any faster because it has two of them. They are going max at 1,000mbps on each port. That's a lot and super, uber fast. I have never seen any transmission rate that can even come close to those speeds.

In wireless technology, there is always a possibility for lag so you are right. Get a basic generic keyboard (they are so cheap) and an IE optical mouse. Samsung makes excellent monitors. I would personally get this:

SAMSUNG 193P+ Silver 19" 8 ms (G to G) LCD Monitor 250 cd/m2 1000:1 0.294mm Pixel Pitch - Retail
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16824001196

If you want a 512MB high performance video card, there's also the top of the line ATi Radeon x1800 XT:
ATI 100-435705 Radeon X1800XT 512MB 256-bit GDDR3 VIVO PCI Express x16 Video Card - Retail
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16814102624

That is the competitor to the 7800GTX.

I dont' really like that monitor too much because it doesn't adjust in the lower arm support. I have a friend who bought that exact same monitor. I was the one that helped her in choosing that one, so my bad. I mean, the quality is excellent. She loves the display and all but it's not 100% adjustable. Only the screen part goes up and down but the lower part doesn't move. I also have a Samsung LCD and both lower and upper support moves so I get 100% adjustability for comfort.

Here's the biggest news regarding your 512MB. Buckle up...the 7800GTX 512MB will arrive very soon (possible later this month). NVidia has no intention of letting ATi be the only company with a high end graphic card with 512MB. What everyone is wondering though is if the 512MB-version of GTX would be clocked higher to be even more competitive with Radeon X1800 XT. There may be a tuned version of GeForce 7800 GTX 512MB and the frequencies with this card will be very, very, super impressive. GPU will work at 550MHz (430MHz defualt for 7800 GTX 256MB) and the memory at the very impressive 1800MHz (1200MHz defualt for 7800 GTX 256MB).

If everything goes according to plans, this version of GeFore 7800 GTX 512MB will arrive this month and things are looking even darker for ATi and its flagship Radeon X1800 XT. Muahahhahhaha...

With that in mind, be patient just a little longer and you will be the first to own a new nvidia geforce 7800GTX 512MB that will SMOKE any ATi cards to date.

Back
Top Bottom