First new build in 6 years :)

wiggum

Beta member
Hi Folks,

I am hoping some of you kind people can help check out my setup. I used to build PC's as a hobby from around the age of 14 but my last desktop ended up being beyond upgradable (DDR slots on board, no SATA, wrecked case etc.) so I'd have needed to start again. At the time, I couldn't afford it and I got a Dell laptop through work. This Inspiron 9400 has been effectively used a desktop for about 3 years now, sitting, always on, with the lid closed. I'm surprised it's lasted this long but it's really on it's last legs.

Anyway, I'm a bit out of touch with the latest technologies so I want to be sure the machine I have specc'd up is going to operate ok. I've listed all my components below. Including shipping, the machine comes to ~£1050. Any opinions would be greatly appreciated as I want to hit the buy button now!

Also, to note, storage is more of an issue for me than gaming performance, I tend to do most of that on my consoles.

CPU: Intel Core i7 920 D0
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD3R
Memory: Corsair XMS3 6GB (3x2)
Graphics: XFX ATI Radeon HD 4850 XXX 512MB
HDD's: x2 Seagate Barracuda 1.5TB 7200rpm drives in RAID 0
Optical Drive: Pioneer DVR-216DBK
Chasis: Coolermaster CM-690
CPU fan: Titan TTC-NK85TZ Fenrir
PSU: Corsair TX 750w

So, have I missed anything out and does everything look compatabile?

Thanks in advance...

Hi there, could you give us a little more info.
- What sites are you ordering from?
- What is your monitor's native resolution?
- Do you overclock?

Hey,

Thanks for the quick reply. :)

- All the parts will be ordered from Overclockers and Scan.
- Not too fussed about overclocking but if you think the spec is capable, I'd give it a bash.
- Monitor resolution is 1680x1050 (Dell 2005FPW)

Cheers again,

Zak.

It all looks very good then.

You could drop the HSF and just use the stock cooling as you won't be overclocking.

If you have picked out RAM above DDR3 1333, save your money as i7 doesn't really need any more bandwidth.

And is this the HD 4850 you picked? If so, that's a good deal, go for it.

Good luck!

Back
Top Bottom