First gaming computer build advice needed

MorbidFly

Beta member
I've decided that after 3 years it may be time to get myself a new computer. I really want to build it on my own but have never done anything like it before. It's going to be mostly a gaming PC but I also want to be able to run things like Photoshop and other memory intensive programs.
A couple questions I have are:
1. Can I even build a computer that will do what I want on the budget I have? ($1500 max)
2. Should I get an SSD for at least my OS?
3. Should I get two graphics cards or will one be enough?
4. How much ram should I get?
Here is a list of parts I was planning on getting, does this look like it'll do what I want it to or am I way off?

DVD Drive:
Newegg.com - LITE-ON DVD Burner - Bulk 24X DVD+R 8X DVD+RW 12X DVD+R DL 24X DVD-R 6X DVD-RW 16X DVD-ROM 48X CD-R 32X CD-RW 48X CD-ROM Black SATA Model iHAS124-04 - CD / DVD Burners

PSU:
Newegg.com - ENERMAX NAXN 82+ ENM750AWT 750W ATX12V v2.3 SLI Ready CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS BRONZE Certified Modular Active PFC Power Supply

MOBO:
Newegg.com - ASUS P8Z68-V PRO LGA 1155 Intel Z68 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard with UEFI BIOS

CPU:
Newegg.com - Intel Core i7-2600K Sandy Bridge 3.4GHz (3.8GHz Turbo Boost) LGA 1155 95W Quad-Core Desktop Processor Intel HD Graphics 3000 BX80623I72600K

RAM:
Newegg.com - G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 16GB (4 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model F3-12800CL9Q-16GBRL

Graphics Card:
Newegg.com - ASUS ENGTX570 DCII/2DIS/1280MD5 GeForce GTX 570 (Fermi) 1280MB 320-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Support Video Card

Here are a couple cases I'm considering. I like the Thermaltake but am I really going to need that kind of expandability? I mean, 10 5.25” bays seem a bit like overkill right?
Thermaltake Armor Case w/ 250mm Side Panel Fan - Black at Xoxide!
Cooler Master HAF 932 Advanced Case at Xoxide!

I hope I'm not completely off on these parts or forgetting something, any and all advice is both welcome and appreciated as I am fairly new to computers.

Actually, this build looks great, I see you have done your research. To answer your questions:

1. Looks like you have found a solid build already.
2. Since you have a Z68, yes. I would suggest getting an OCZ Vertex 3 60GB for your OS and highly used applications (SSD cache) and say a 1-2TB HDD as back up.
3. A single 570 will be plenty. But also, make sure you leave room in the future for SLI and other capabilities.
4. If you are doing a lot of extensive memory use (Video/Graphic editing) stay with the 16GB RAM. But honestly, if you don't use the applications on a daily basis using extensive amounts of time to make and edit material, drop to 8GB.

The case:

I would honestly go with what you like. The TT Armor case gives you plenty of room for added features in the future. Yes 10 drive bays is a lot, you will probably never use them, but it never hurts to have then right? Plus, if it is a front loaded HDD bay, be careful, because a lot of cases get cut off in the middle bays (have to remove the trays) for large video cards.

And one last thing! I didn't see a CPU cooler. Are you planning to overclock? If so go with one of these:

Noctua NH-D14:
Newegg.com - Noctua NH-D14 120mm & 140mm SSO CPU Cooler

If that is out of your budget range, go for this:

CM Hyper 212 EVO:
Newegg.com - COOLER MASTER Hyper 212 EVO RR-212E-20PK-R1 Continuous Direct Contact 120mm Sleeve CPU Cooler Compatible with latest Intel 1366/1155 and AMD FM1/AM3+

I would be careful with that heat sink. I believe they have been having problems with the mounts lining up on the P8Z68-V LX and PRO boards. Might want to research that a bit.

Really? I must not have done enough digging when I picked that one. I'll probably get something else then, I'm taking no chances on this build.

I would still suggest the Hyper 212 EVO for the price you wanted to pay for that. I believe it is right around $35 as well and a better cooler at that.

Back
Top Bottom