First Gaming comp ( Im a Noob )

That's funny because the general consensus is that if Sapphire didn't manufacture ATi's boards for many other partners, they'd have been out of business a long time ago. :D

Well, whatever. I still like them. But I mean, ASUS, MSI, EVGA,...they are all amazing too. I'm just saying, compared to PowerCooler..? Hands down I'm choosing Sapphire. Not that the P.C. will suck...but, to me, I have to factor in SOME importance of "name brands". Plus, again, I still think the Sapphire looks sexier than that open-cooled P.C.

D'oh.

Well, my vote now goes to the 1GB ASUS. Same price as the 512MB sapphire.

I must've missed that in my initial search because I was really looking for a 1GB but they were all ~$25-$40 more. Plus I was looking on the .ca site, and it's just an odd transition lol. So, yes, go with this ASUS over the Sapphire I listed.

I'd also agree that he should go with the 955 now that the price difference is smaller. but I'd go with a DDR3 790GX board as the integrated GPU is a bonus.

Actually its a bigger difference in CA than in USA for the 955. its a 55 dollar difference in USA and a 67 dollar difference in CA. There is a combo deal for it with a biostar board but it is an AM2/AM2+/AM3 board which IMO is a waste. why get an AM3 chip and board that can't run DDR3 ram when you can get an AM3 board for the same price and at least get the benefits of it. I mean I'm not disappointed in the 955 and AM3 by any means but I also paid less for my CPU than the price of the 940 so I really didn't have a choice in the matter...:D:D But I guess really when you think about it 70 bucks really isn't that big of a difference if you can get a good deal on the rest of the stuff. I guess it just all comes down to the budget your on. Also how far you plan on pushing the chip. (OC) You will get a little further with the 955 but a couple hundred Mhz is all your gonna get farther unless you really mess with it and have some great cooling and ambient temps.

***Edit*** sorry Im an idiot LOL its 67 canadian dollar difference so I guess its not a bigger difference... Please excuse my ignorance....ROFL :D:D:D Heck for that difference I'd go for it.

hi again, just got back from school. and i see that the build dude_56013 is AMD. just a quick question is AMD perform better than an Intel Core? and to answer a few peoples questions.. no i wont just be playing CS and wow on this comp... im an all-round gamer so id probably play a crap ton of games.
and also ty all for helpin out....

Well I wouldn't say its better than Intel but depending on the uses of the computer it might excel or perform the same as Intel. It all depends on what Intel you are comparing it to also. If you compare the Phenom II 955 to the Intel I7 920 which are really close in price they Phenom does a little better in games but will not outperform it in editing applications. So if you are using it primarily for gaming you won't notice much of a difference if any at all from the intel I7 but unless you do some serious shopping around and get some great deals or the I7 is going to cost a bit more. You can get much better performance/Price ratio from the AMD chips usually but not always. It really comes down to brand preference and the prices you can find.

ahhhh tnx for the answer.. i wont be doing editing of anysort.. just pure gaming and watching vids. tbh i know nothing about amd and just alittle of intel and once again i dont want to sound picky but if i had a choice, id prefer intel cuz ive had intel pc's all my life and know a tiny bit about them

So I'm assuming your mentality was "lose a little in the CPU dept. and gain some in the GPU dept" right? Cuz that comes out at about the same price as my AMD PII AM3 build... But that GPU is quite a bit better. And honestly, that CPU performs well. I still think you get better performance for your money with AMD right now. And if he goes with the PII 940, then the money he saves on that and the board and RAM can get him up to a better GPU as well (such as the one you listed, or for future CF potential, a 4890). I'm sticking with AMD on this build, I think. It just makes sense. But it is up to him.

Its true that i feel more comfortable with intel, l ll hang tight to see if someone will post their suggestion
of what parts i shud get for a budget rig.

Edit :
After watching a few hours of vids from youtube, i kinda got an idea of wat parts i might want...
780i sli FTW
evga 9800GTX
intel e8400 or e8500

suggestions and opions on what parts to replace etc, would be nice
and please note that the list above is just to give a short idea of what i had in mind from watching videos...

tnx again.

Back
Top Bottom