Go Back   Computer Forums > General Computing > Hardware
Click Here to Login
Join Computer forums Today

Old 09-17-2012, 12:55 PM   #21
Baseband Member

Default Re: First Gaming Build under $2000 - please help

Quote:
Originally Posted by celegorm View Post
you're the only "experienced" person I've ever seen recommend against it.
You must have not encountered a lot of experienced people then.

Accurate_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 01:27 PM   #22
Baseband Member

Interesting discussion. Even though you disagree, you're both trying to lead me in the right direction, and I appreciate it.

A second video card is not something I'm going to want or need anytime soon. The only immediate difference it will make is possibly a more expensive PSU. Right now I'm mostly concerned about having compatible parts and getting the most for my money.

Do you guys think that if I'm getting a GTX 670, I might as well get a 680 instead?

What is everyone's favorite CPU cooler? I'm a little reluctant to do water cooling. I'd rather have a nice fan, if that will do the job. Like I mentioned before, I'm not going to be overclocking the processor to its limit, just halfway.

starik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 01:34 PM   #23
xxcobraxx

I don't think it's anything to do with his card that makes him stutter, it'll be your updates, such as netframe or c++ visuals files corrupt, this is what can make any game stutter, depends what the game uses.
IAntDemo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 01:39 PM   #24
Baseband Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by starik View Post
Interesting discussion. Even though you disagree, you're both trying to lead me in the right direction, and I appreciate it.

A second video card is not something I'm going to want or need anytime soon. The only immediate difference it will make is possibly a more expensive PSU. Right now I'm mostly concerned about having compatible parts and getting the most for my money.

Do you guys think that if I'm getting a GTX 670, I might as well get a 680 instead?

What is everyone's favorite CPU cooler? I'm a little reluctant to do water cooling. I'd rather have a nice fan, if that will do the job. Like I mentioned before, I'm not going to be overclocking the processor to its limit, just halfway.
My favourie CPU Cooler is the Noctua NH-D14. It's very reliable, I've never seen anyone have any problems with it and it's also really quiet.

If it's not the Noctua NH-D14, I would pick the Cooler Master 212 Evo. The Noctua NH-D14 is better in some ways, but it's cheaper, still quite quiet and it does the job without any problems.

---------- Post added at 06:39 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:35 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by IAntDemo View Post
I don't think it's anything to do with his card that makes him stutter, it'll be your updates, such as netframe or c++ visuals files corrupt, this is what can make any game stutter, depends what the game uses.
Trust me, it's to do with the cards, I see it happen all the time. All you do is take one card out and there you go, the stuttering is gone.

Not saying it happens to every gamer that decides to put GPU's in SLI/Crossfire, but it can happen.

Gamers don't need GPU's in SLI/Crossfire anyway unless they have multiple monitors, which for most people, that's not the case.
Old 09-17-2012, 01:40 PM   #25
Site Team

Send a message via AIM to celegorm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Accurate_ View Post
When you've worked in the field building selling and fixing computers, you work with plenty of experienced people.

Team Thelegorm! Total Kills: 21 (i iz in uor profile, editsing your sigz)
celegorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 01:43 PM   #26
Baseband Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by celegorm View Post
When you've worked in the field building selling and fixing computers, you work with plenty of experienced people.
Wonder where you've been working. :P
Old 09-17-2012, 02:39 PM   #27
Daemon Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Accurate_ View Post

I must admit Mr. Accurate, your responses fascinate me. Just how much "experience", could you possibly have? You're 20 years old. Assuming that you built your first computer at the tender age of 15, you'd have a whole 5 years in this business.

I was building machines with 8088 processors, working with 300 baud modems, monochrome crt monitors, typing DOS commands, and 64kb of memory, before you were so much as a gleam in your dad's eye.
Old 09-17-2012, 03:35 PM   #28
In Runtime

Quote:
Originally Posted by starik View Post

A very demanding Gamer will, of course, go with the 680. But if it stretches your budget too much then consider the new GTX 660 or 660 Ti.
For mild to moderate OC the Cooler Master Hyper 212+ EVO will do just fine.
i7-3930K - Corsair H100 push/pull fans - ASUS Rampage IV Extreme - 4 x 4GB G.Skill DDR3 2133 - 2 x EVGA GTX680s in SLI - OS, 256GB Samsung 830 SSD - Games, 256GB Crucial M4 SSD - Antec TPC 1200W - Dell 27" IPS 2560x1440 - APC XS1500 UPS - Win7 Ultimate x64
OS-Wiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 03:42 PM   #29
Daemon Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by OS-Wiz View Post
A very demanding Gamer will, of course, go with the 680. But if it stretches your budget too much then consider the new GTX 660 or 660 Ti.
For mild to moderate OC the Cooler Master Hyper 212+ EVO will do just fine.
Yupper, agree, the 680 is top dog, well for this month anyway, ha!

But the performance on the 670 is close, so it's your call.
Old 09-17-2012, 05:29 PM   #30
Fully Optimized

To STARIK:
I will just say that i am also against what Accurate says. so you can see we are 4 poeple against 1.
He is wrong about the 2500K CPU and he's hate against SLI is ridicules.

The i5-3570k is noticeable faster then the 2500k. The 2500k might overclock slightly better (and i do mean slightly), the end result will still be that the 3570k will smash the 2500k for only 20$ extra. Buy the 3570K, trust os. it's the better choice.

My thoughts on SLI and Crossfire:
I would not buy 2 cards for SLI at once because i "personally" don't need that much Horse power and i am concerned about the extra noise and heat.
however it might be a GREAT idea to add an extra card down the road when the card is getting older. instead of taking an 670 out and replacing it with the next 770, then buy an extra 670 (which would be cheaper at the time). that setup will be faster then a single 770.
SLI and Crossfire are awesome. it's for kick ass performance or for money saving when it's time to upgrade (by buying a cheaper soon to be outdated card for SLI).
And you should not see any stutter. i don't know where he gets it from.

For my favorite coolers: that would be the Hydro coolers from Corsair. i like the looks and the performance. I might buy an H80 soon. ^^

BikerEcho is offline   Reply With Quote