First Gaming Build under $2000 - please help

starik

Baseband Member
This is my first time building. Here is what I have picked out so far:

Case: Corsair Graphite Series 600T
CPU: Intel Core i5-3570K Ivy Bridge 3.4GHz (3.8GHz Turbo)
Motherboard: ASUS P8Z77-V PRO
Video Card: Galaxy 67NPH6DV5ZVX GeForce GTX 670
Memory: CORSAIR Vengeance 8GB (2 x 4GB)
SSD: SAMSUNG 830 Series MZ-7PC256B/WW 2.5" 256GB
HDD: SAMSUNG Spinpoint F3 HD103SJ 1TB
CPU Cooler: COOLER MASTER Hyper 212 EVO
PSU: CORSAIR HX Series HX750 750W
DVD Burner: ASUS
Monitor: ASUS VW246H Glossy Black 24" 2ms(GTG)
Mouse: Logitech G9x Gaming Mouse
Anti-virus: Malwarebytes Anti-Malware Lifetime

My goal is to build a gaming PC that will last a while. My budget is flexible, but I don't want to spend any more than I have to. I need everything except a keyboard and speakers. Thank you anyone who takes the time to look over my list and make suggestions.

That's a nice build and will serve you well for a while.

Keep in mind that Malwarebytes Anti-Malware is not an antivirus program. It is more for spyware detection and removal. A great antivirus program I recommend is Avast Antivirus.

CPU: Intel Core i5-2500K 3.3GHz Quad-Core Processor ($199.98 @ Amazon)
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D14 65.0 CFM CPU Cooler ($83.74 @ Mwave)
Motherboard: ASRock Z77 Extreme4 ATX LGA1155 Motherboard ($134.99 @ Amazon)
Memory: Corsair XMS 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1333 Memory ($55.99 @ Newegg)
Memory: Corsair 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1333 Memory ($34.99 @ Amazon)
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($69.99 @ NCIX US)
Storage: OCZ Vertex 4 128GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($99.99 @ Newegg)
Video Card: Asus GeForce GTX 680 2GB Video Card ($530.25 @ NCIX US)
Case: Corsair 600T ATX Mid Tower Case ($133.56 @ Mac Connection)
Power Supply: Silverstone 850W ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($110.98 @ NCIX US)
Optical Drive: Lite-On iHAS124-04 DVD/CD Writer ($15.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Monitor: Asus VW246H 24.0" Monitor ($176.99 @ Amazon)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 (64-bit) ($90.40 @ Amazon)
Mouse: Logitech G9x Wired Laser Mouse ($56.99 @ Amazon)
Total: $1794.83

Personally, I would go for this. I picked the same monitor, mouse and OS and case you chose but I changed around some of the hardware.

This will cost $1,800, saving you $200.

I changed the CPU to an i5-2500k. It is, in my opinion, the best CPU out at the moment for gaming. It's cheaper that the i5-3570k and there will be no difference in gameplay.

I changed the HDD to a Seagate Barracuda 1TB because I feel they're more reliable.

I changed the SSD to a 128GB because I think this is more than enough for an SSD if you're just going to be putting games on it. If you still want a larger SSD, feel free to get a 256GB.

I changed the CPU Cooler to a Noctua NH-D14 because even though the Cooler Master Hyper 212 is a good, cheap Cooler, the Noctua is better overall.

For the case, I recommend a BitFenix Raider or a HAF 912. You should check them out. I'm not saying they're better, it's just personal preference.

For the anti-virus, I would choose Microsoft Security Essentials or Avast!

Last edited:
Welcome to the ComputerForums

Case: Corsair Graphite Series 600T
CPU: Intel Core i5-3570K Ivy Bridge 3.4GHz (3.8GHz Turbo)
Motherboard: ASUS P8Z77-V PRO
Video Card: Galaxy 67NPH6DV5ZVX GeForce GTX 670
Memory: CORSAIR Vengeance 8GB (2 x 4GB)
SSD: SAMSUNG 830 Series MZ-7PC256B/WW 2.5" 256GB
HDD: SAMSUNG Spinpoint F3 HD103SJ 1TB
CPU Cooler: COOLER MASTER Hyper 212 EVO
PSU: CORSAIR HX Series HX750 750W
DVD Burner: ASUS
Monitor: ASUS VW246H Glossy Black 24" 2ms(GTG)
Mouse: Logitech G9x Gaming Mouse
Anti-virus: Malwarebytes Anti-Malware Lifetime

All good choices, but you might consider using Microsoft Security Essentials. Rated second best by most security rating sites and its FREE! Also, most Gamers eventually move up to a full-tower case for the better airflow/cooling during those long frag sessions. Check out the Cooler Master HAF 932 Advanced or the HAF X.

Thank you guys. Especially Accurate, very thorough. I'll take all of you guys'/gals' advice. And keep it coming, anyone else.

Oh, one thing I thought of: how do I make sure before ordering that my CPU cooler won't block my memory cards?

I know this probably a dumb question, but I have to ask. Do you gain anything with game load times by putting your OS on the SSD?

@Starik,

A few questions.

Are you thinking of over clocking? Mild? Serious? If you are not OC'ing, or looking for a mild OC, then the Hyper 212 is just fine. If you're going to do some serious OC'ing then consider a superior air/water cooler. It's always better to think about these things before a build, rather than after.

Your PSU is a fine choice for now, and provides enough headroom. How about the future? If you think you may want to add another GTX 670 down the road, or other hardware upgrades, then don't put yourself in the position of having to buy another PSU. Spend a few extra dollars, and invest in a 1000watt PSU now. If however, you don't expect to be adding any additional hardware, your 750watt choice is just fine.

Also, you may want to consider the G700 gaming mouse. It is wireless, and performs flawlessly with no lag what-so-ever. I cannot detect any difference between my wired G500, and the wireless G700. If you have the extra money the G13 is a great addition to a gaming rig. I wouldn't part with mine.

One addition....I would never consider a gaming machine in anything other than a full size case.

I had planned on doing mild overclocking, maybe 4.0-4.2, something like that. I've never overclocked before, so I don't want to mess anything up, and I hear it's not really necessary for most games.

That is in part why I considered the i5-3570k, because I wasn't planning on overclocking high enough to worry about ivy bridge's heat issues.

But I don't know what I may decide to do in the future. Do you agree with Accurate that the 2500k is a better choice? I'll definitely consider the 1000W PSU, because you're right about the possibility of adding a second graphics card down the line.

Thank you for the advice.

I had planned on doing mild overclocking, maybe 4.0-4.2, something like that. I've never overclocked before, so I don't want to mess anything up, and I hear it's not really necessary for most games.

That is in part why I considered the i5-3570k, because I wasn't planning on overclocking high enough to worry about ivy bridge's heat issues.

But I don't know what I may decide to do in the future. Do you agree with Accurate that the 2500k is a better choice? I'll definitely consider the 1000W PSU, because you're right about the possibility of adding a second graphics card down the line.

Thank you for the advice.

Everything you're saying makes sense. No, I cannot agree with Accurate. It has now reached the point where the 2500k and the 3570k are about the same price.

The 3570k is made on a thinner die, produces less heat, and is Ivy Bridge architecture, vs. the older, lower performing, Sandy Bridge architecture of the 2500k, for the same price. Doesn't make any sense to me to purchase the 2500k when the price is the same, or very close.

For mild OC'ing the 212 will be just fine, but if you think you might really want to get into it, buy a better cooler.

Back
Top Bottom