Go Back   Computer Forums > General Computing > Hardware
Click Here to Login
Join Computer forums Today


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 09-24-2012, 02:50 PM   #141
rio
Baseband Member
 
rio's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: USA
Posts: 56
Default Re: first custom gaming pc build

Quote:
Originally Posted by Computear View Post
Make a thread for your build & post lots of pictures! We love that kind of thing here.
I do have a thread and 1 picture so far there, ill post more pictures later today.
NEW PC Setup
__________________

rio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 05:16 PM   #142
In Runtime
 
OS-Wiz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: USA
Posts: 334
Default Re: first custom gaming pc build

Be sure, if you have it, to turn off on-board video. Make sure all the power connectors to the vidcard are seated. Vidcard in the correct slot. If monitor has more than one source, toggle between sources.
__________________

__________________
i7-3930K - Corsair H100 push/pull fans - ASUS Rampage IV Extreme - 4 x 4GB G.Skill DDR3 2133 - 2 x EVGA GTX680s in SLI - OS, 256GB Samsung 830 SSD - Games, 256GB Crucial M4 SSD - Antec TPC 1200W - Dell 27" IPS 2560x1440 - APC XS1500 UPS - Win7 Ultimate x64
OS-Wiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 06:02 PM   #143
Baseband Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: usa
Posts: 67
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by OS-Wiz
Be sure, if you have it, to turn off on-board video. Make sure all the power connectors to the vidcard are seated. Vidcard in the correct slot. If monitor has more than one source, toggle between sources.
The internet is full of useful info! I searched around and found all the things you suggested and tried them (what I could figure out that is) but still no video. I gave up and took it to a comp shop that a friend of mine works at ( almost free trouble shooting :-) ) I'll have it back tomorrow hopefully up and running so i can take pics of the completed beast
BadReligion83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 06:40 PM   #144
Daemon Poster
 
Computear's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: US
Posts: 675
Default Re: first custom gaming pc build

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadReligion83 View Post
The internet is full of useful info! I searched around and found all the things you suggested and tried them (what I could figure out that is) but still no video. I gave up and took it to a comp shop that a friend of mine works at ( almost free trouble shooting :-) ) I'll have it back tomorrow hopefully up and running so i can take pics of the completed beast
Hopefully your videocard wasn't DOA. I'm gonna be worried all day that something in my new build is messed up, but I can't boot it up without any RAM, and I don't get that until tomorrow!
__________________
Laptop: Dell XPS 17 | i5-2450M @ 2.5GHz | 6144MB RAM | GeForce GT 550M
Desktop:
HAF 932 Advanced | i5-3750k @ 4.4GHz | CORSAIR H100 | ASUS P8Z77-V | EVGA GTX 680 2GB | 8GB G.SKILL DDR3 @ 1600 | MUSHKIN 240GB SSD | WD 500GB 7200RPM HDD
Computear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 06:42 PM   #145
Baseband Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: usa
Posts: 67
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Computear

Hopefully your videocard wasn't DOA. I'm gonna be worried all day that something in my new build is messed up, but I can't boot it up without any RAM, and I don't get that until tomorrow!
Hopefully not but that's what warranties are for :-) I really wouldn't be worried. The research I've done says that PC hardware now a days has only a two percent failure rate
BadReligion83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 08:05 PM   #146
Daemon Poster
 
Hameister's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: USA
Posts: 887
Default Re: first custom gaming pc build

Sorry to hear about the video issues.

I assume you checked to be sure that your monitor wasn't set up for analog input, when you're connected to it's DVI jack, or digital input if you were connected to it's VGA connector. That will give you a blank screen every time.
__________________
HAF 932 Advanced / Corsair AX1200 / Asus Rampage IV Extreme / i7-3930K / H100 Cooling 4x120mm
16GB Corsair DDR3 / GTX 580x2 SLI + GTX 460 PhysX / SSDs Mushkin 240GB, Crucial 256GB, Crucial 512GB
Hameister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 08:28 PM   #147
Baseband Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: usa
Posts: 67
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hameister
Sorry to hear about the video issues.

I assume you checked to be sure that your monitor wasn't set up for analog input, when you're connected to it's DVI jack, or digital input if you were connected to it's VGA connector. That will give you a blank screen every time.
I did not think about that, but the main issue is that I had no video output whatsoever. I connect my monitor to the vgi port on the mother board and on the video card with no luck. Thinking the monitor was bad ( its really old) I connected the comp to my TV through both the HDMI and vga ports on the gpu and the motherboard but again no luck. Zip zero zilch nada no image at all.
BadReligion83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 08:36 PM   #148
In Runtime
 
OS-Wiz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: USA
Posts: 334
Default Re: first custom gaming pc build

If you have more than one PCIe slot, try another slot.
__________________
i7-3930K - Corsair H100 push/pull fans - ASUS Rampage IV Extreme - 4 x 4GB G.Skill DDR3 2133 - 2 x EVGA GTX680s in SLI - OS, 256GB Samsung 830 SSD - Games, 256GB Crucial M4 SSD - Antec TPC 1200W - Dell 27" IPS 2560x1440 - APC XS1500 UPS - Win7 Ultimate x64
OS-Wiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 12:00 PM   #149
Baseband Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: usa
Posts: 67
Default

We have video!!!!!! Apparently it was my HDMI cord that was bad. I'm installing win7 now
BadReligion83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 12:26 PM   #150
Daemon Poster
 
Hameister's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: USA
Posts: 887
Default Re: first custom gaming pc build

Now here again, is a good lesson for all of us. It is very natural for people to "assume", the obvious, which is something we should never do.

Not one of us, thought of something as simple, as trying another cable, because the chances of a new cable being bad is so remote.

Glad you're up an running. How about some more photos when you're ready.
__________________

__________________
HAF 932 Advanced / Corsair AX1200 / Asus Rampage IV Extreme / i7-3930K / H100 Cooling 4x120mm
16GB Corsair DDR3 / GTX 580x2 SLI + GTX 460 PhysX / SSDs Mushkin 240GB, Crucial 256GB, Crucial 512GB
Hameister is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:11 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0