first custom gaming pc build

BadReligion83

Baseband Member
Like the title states, this is my first attempt at building my own PC. My budget for this is between $1000 and $1500 although I'd like to stay middle of the road with the price.

My first problem is where to start. My mind set tells me to start with the case but I've got the inkling that this is wrong

Well, Gamers use full tower cases for their good airflow/cooling capability. Check out the Cooler Master HAF 932 Advanced. The latest Intel CPUs are the Ivy Bridge series and the bang for the buck choice would be the i5-3750, or K model if you're an overclocker. Get at least 8GB (2 x 4GB sticks) or more memory, DDR3 1600 or faster. I prefer G.Skill or Corsair memory. The new nVidia GTX 660, just released today, would be a good mid-price card. I prefer Antec or Corsair PSUs and always get one with at least 20% overhead. That should get you started -- if you've questions get back with us.

OS-Wiz said:
Well, Gamers use full tower cases for their good airflow/cooling capability. Check out the Cooler Master HAF 932 Advanced. The latest Intel CPUs are the Ivy Bridge series and the bang for the buck choice would be the i5-3750, or K model if you're an overclocker. Get at least 8GB (2 x 4GB sticks) or more memory, DDR3 1600 or faster. I prefer G.Skill or Corsair memory. The new nVidia GTX 660, just released today, would be a good mid-price card. I prefer Antec or Corsair PSUs and always get one with at least 20% overhead. That should get you started -- if you've questions get back with us.

OK I think I should state this so as to avoid headaches for me and everybody else down the road. I've got adhd and it doesn't help when trying to do things like this so I may be asking A LOT of questions just to make sure I don't mess anything up.

Because of the ADHD, I suggest you focus on one thing at a time.

Start with the case. Make a decision on it first. The HAF 932 Advanced suggested by OS-Wiz is a fine case, and a good choice, but you may want to look at others as well. Make your case decision first.

OK I think I should state this so as to avoid headaches for me and everybody else down the road. I've got adhd and it doesn't help when trying to do things like this so I may be asking A LOT of questions just to make sure I don't mess anything up.
No problem, ask away!

CPU: Intel Core i5-2500K 3.3GHz Quad-Core Processor
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D14 65.0 CFM CPU Cooler
Motherboard: ASRock Z77 Extreme4 ATX LGA1155 Motherboard
Memory: Corsair XMS 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Video Card: Gigabyte Radeon HD 7970 3GB Video Card
Case: Cooler Master HAF 912 ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: Silverstone 850W ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply
Optical Drive: Lite-On iHAS124-04 DVD/CD Writer

I recommend this. This will be around $1200.
With your other $300, you can buy a new monitor, keyboard and mouse.

This system will play any game on the highest settings possible. It won't struggle in any way whatsoever.

@ "Accurate"...

Ya know, I've been around forums for years, and of course disagreements pop up from time to time, but I have never heard of any one accusing another forum member of lying about his Sig. before. It's just bizarre.

Please do not misunderstand, I am not at all angry. Actually, just the fact that you could think it impossible for me to own a machine like mine, is a compliment.

So, let me share your PM, and then you can look at the photos I took of my computers. Yes, I say computers, because I built two of them. Yes I build my own computers. One is in a HAF 932 case, and the other in a Cooler Master Storm Trooper case. One showing all three graphic cards as displayed in my sig., and the other without the GTX 460.

Just to refresh your memory, here's the PM you sent me today...

"That's not your system, man, stop lying.
All you have did was pick the best parts you can find and say it was yours.

Why would you need 1008GB of SSD's? Not only is it completely dumb to get that, but it would cost you $1,000 or more to get that.

You've got 3 GPU's and one of the best, most expensive CPU's on the market at the moment.
Then, to top it all off, you've got one of the most expensive motherboards on sale and you've got a H100 liquid cooler.

Man, this is a $4000 system.

The thing that confuses me is why you would spend $2,000 on SDD's and GPU's only.

I don't believe for one second you've got a system like this. I think you've just picked amazing parts and then on here to make yourself look cool.

What are you actually doing on your system that you need it hardware like that?

If you're telling the truth, I'm sorry for not believing you, but I think you can clearly understand why I don't. I just hate it when people post things on the internet to make themselves look cool."

Oh, just to answer your questions concerning the solid state drives. I use the 240GB Mushkin for the OS, and the 256GB Crucial M4 for the Acronis clone, and the 512GB Crucial M4 for all my Steam games. Yes, these parts are expensive, but I can easily afford them. Does this and the photos answer all your concerns?

Attachments

• 19.jpg
    19.jpg
    58.3 KB · Views: 8
  • 26.jpg
    26.jpg
    101.6 KB · Views: 8
  • 27 2x580 & 460.jpg
    27 2x580 & 460.jpg
    95.4 KB · Views: 6
  • i7 3930k Build In HAF 932 Advanced Chassis.jpg
    i7 3930k Build In HAF 932 Advanced Chassis.jpg
    94.7 KB · Views: 7
  • i7 3930k Build In HAF 932 Advanced Chassis2.jpg
    i7 3930k Build In HAF 932 Advanced Chassis2.jpg
    97.9 KB · Views: 7
Last edited:
OS-Wiz said:
No problem, ask away!

I have to say I appreciate that you're all so responsive. That's going to make this a lot easier. As far as the one thing at a time approach, I'm definitely taking that route. It may take longer, but I know I'm going to enjoy this process.

Hameister said:
Because of the ADHD, I suggest you focus on one thing at a time.

Start with the case. Make a decision on it first. The HAF 932 Advanced suggested by OS-Wiz is a fine case, and a good choice, but you may want to look at others as well. Make your case decision first.

As far as the case goes I was looking to spend between $50 and $100 and the HAF 932 goes for $159.99 on new egg. I've been looking around and I am liking this one: in win mana 134 let me know what you guys think.

---------- Post added at 01:41 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:40 PM ----------

Hameister said:
@ "Accurate"...

Ya know, I've been around forums for years, and of course disagreements pop up from time to time, but I have never heard of any one accusing another forum member of lying about his Sig. before. It's just bizarre.

Please do not misunderstand, I am not at all angry. Actually, just the fact that you could think it impossible for me to own a machine like mine, is a compliment.

So, let me share your PM, and then you can look at the photos I took of my computers. Yes, I say computers, because I built two of them. Yes I build my own computers. One is in a HAF 932 case, and the other in a Cooler Master Storm Trooper case. One showing all three graphic cards as displayed in my sig., and the other without the GTX 460.

Just to refresh your memory, here's the PM you sent me today...

"That's not your system, man, stop lying.
All you have did was pick the best parts you can find and say it was yours.

Why would you need 1008GB of SSD's? Not only is it completely dumb to get that, but it would cost you $1,000 or more to get that.
You've got 3 GPU's and one of the best, most expensive CPU's on the market at the moment.
Then, to top it all off, you've got one of the most expensive motherboards on sale and you've got a H100 liquid cooler.

Man, this is a $4000 system.

The thing that confuses me is why you would spend $2,000 on SDD's and GPU's only.

I don't believe for one second you've got a system like this. I think you've just picked amazing parts and then on here to make yourself look cool.

What are you actually doing on your system that you need it hardware like that?

If you're telling the truth, I'm sorry for not believing you, but I think you can clearly understand why I don't. I just hate it when people post things on the internet to make themselves look cool."

Oh, just to answer your questions concerning the solid state drives. I use the 240GB Mushkin for the OS, and the 256GB Crucial M4 for the Acronis clone, and the 512GB Crucial M4 for all my Steam games. Yes, these parts are expensive, but I can easily afford them. Does this and the photos answer all your concerns?

I've got no idea where all this came from but I'm relatively new to this site. Anything to do with old blood?

That In-Win case looks pretty nice although I cannot personally vouch for In-Win. I have always liked Antec cases.

Back
Top Bottom