First computer build, need help

Like was said avoid Norton like the plague. There's lots of free stuff out there that will do the job. I personally use ESET security suite 7, but it's pay for play software.

Just a note on something you guys have skipped over. CPU heat sink. The one included with the CPU chip is ok if you're not flogging your system. With gaming your CPU is going to warm up and the OEM heat sink is going to be hard pressed to keep up.
I use a CM 212 evo on my i5 and it works rather well. They are not expensive nor complicated to install. You'll need to get some Artic Silver 5 thermal paste to go with that.

Actually the CM 212 evo comes with it's own paste.
Sure the artic Silver 5 will perform better, but hardly worth the cost.
It's properly not gonna decrease the heat more than 2 degrees celsius.
I bought Artic Silver a year ago, but that was because i didn't have some paste already.

Ok so just get the kit and install it. However you slice or dice it, he's going to need better cooling than the OEM can offer.

Thank you so much setishock, I would have ended up using the stock heatsink if it weren't for you. I'll check out the heatsink you suggested.

Sent from my iPad using Computer Forums

Here's what it looks like install on my rig.

attachment.php

Is it the same size as a stock heatsink? (Sorry if that sounds like a stupid question, but I don't know that much about computers)

Sent from my iPad using Computer Forums

Back
Top Bottom