First Build - Need Guide

zlashed

Baseband Member
As you can tell by the title, I am building my first rig. The parts are already ordered, and I am looking for a suitable build guide that closely matches my specs (listed below), and just the overall caliber of my system. I am almost a COMPLETE noob, so try and find one that is the most closely suited to my specs, and the most thorough as possible. Thanks.

SPECS \/

APEVIA X-JUPITER S-Type X-JUPITERS-BK Black Aluminum ATX Full Tower Computer Case

XFX PVT80FSHF9 GeForce 8800GTX 768MB 384-bit GDDR3 PCI Express x16 HDCP Ready SLI Supported Video Card

ABS Tagan BZ Series BZ800 ATX12V / EPS12V 800W Patent Piperock Modular Power Supply

Rosewill RCX-TC050 Thermal Grease

G.SKILL 4GB(2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 1000 (PC2 8000) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model F2-8000CL5D-4GBPQ

EVGA 132-CK-NF78-A1 LGA 775 NVIDIA nForce 780i SLI ATX Intel Motherboard

Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 Kentsfield 2.4GHz LGA 775 Quad-Core Processor Model BX80562Q6600

Microsoft Windows Vista 64-Bit Home Premium for System Builders Single Pack DVD

COOLER MASTER GeminII RR-CCH-ANU2-GP CPU+ Board Cooler

ZALMAN CNPS9700 LED 110mm 2 Ball CPU Cooler

Thanks a lot, celegorm. That looks like a great guide, and should be sufficient. But...I can never be too sure considering the fact that i have never built a computer and only opened mine up like twice. This may be the most thorough as possible, and if it is, no big deal. But, if there is anything you can find that is more specific on some things like placement, it could be helpful. Thanks a ton either way.

I haven't been able to find too much, but that should help ya. If I remember correctly, you use the same heatsink, and the 680 and 780 have virtually the same layout. Really the only thing different after that is the case and that's pretty much put standoffs where you need them.

Don't forget to use the stand offs between the board and the case (HDD tray)

It has to be one of the most common errors made by new builders.

Good luck with the build, ask if you have any questions.

I should be fine now, thanks a lot. But what do you mean by the "standoffs"?

Standoffs are small, threaded posts that are mounted in the case that the motherboard is screwed onto.

Do these stand offs come with the case or the board? And to use them, do I just put them through the back of the case and screw the board onto them?

antec 900 comes with half of them installed so if u forget there will be some there to remind you, its a good idea

Back
Top Bottom