First Build, Help!

Infin1ty1

In Runtime
Alright so I'm finally building my first computer. I got all my hardware installed and I press the power button and all I get is a loud high pitched squeal. I cant tell exactly where it is coming from, but it seems as though its coming from the power supply. It doesn't sound like a Post code beep, as I said more of just a high pitched squeal. Not sure if it helps any but the display on my motherboard wont show a solid number, just keeps going between numbers.

*EDIT* I just took a closer look at the display on the mobo, and its going between 23 and 46, and it finally stops with 7F.

Alright, I stopped the squealing noise, but now I have no video. Not quite sure what to think, the video card is running but I get no video on my monitor.

Ah yes sorry about that. No I am getting no beeps what so ever. The monitor light goes green for a second then goes back to a steady orange.

Specs Are

eVGA 590 SLI mobo
eVGA 8800 GTS Video card
AMD Athlon 64 X2
3 WD Hard drives, all SATA
IDE DVD Drive
XION 600 Watt PSU

Well, there are no incompatibilities there, so perhaps you hooked something up incorrectly. The only time I have gotten those beeps was when my HDD was broken.

I do not think that it is your PSU, since the computer actually powers on. It might also be a problem with your heatsink. Try to only connect one HDD.

Well, there are no incompatibilities there, so perhaps you hooked something up incorrectly. The only time I have gotten those beeps was when my HDD was broken.

I do not think that it is your PSU, since the computer actually powers on. It might also be a problem with your heatsink. Try to only connect one HDD.

Alright tried, I'm actually not getting any beeps now. Earlier when I was getting beeps I think I had something hooked up incorrectly so I took it all apart and put it back together again.

I'm tempted to RMA everything and just get it replaced, lol.

So now the screen just flickers and then dies? Does it still display something, or does it go completely dark?

So now the screen just flickers and then dies? Does it still display something, or does it go completely dark?

Nope, doesn't display anything. It doesn't even really flicker, the light on the monitor turns green but it then it basically instantly goes solid orange.

Ahh. Well, I do not think that the mobo is fried, seeing as how it displays something...

Can you test the ram in a different computer? Although I do not think that is the problem, it might be.

It also would not hurt to try out another GPU, if of course you have one.

Finally, it can be the CPU itself.

Ahh. Well, I do not think that the mobo is fried, seeing as how it displays something...

Can you test the ram in a different computer? Although I do not think that is the problem, it might be.

It also would not hurt to try out another GPU, if of course you have one.

Finally, it can be the CPU itself.

Yeah, im pretty sure its not the mobo, because I have power lights. I did forget to mention that the mobo is now not displaying anything besides 2 dashes so I'm not quite sure whats up with that. Unfortuantly I dont have another computer I can test the hardware out on and don't have another video card.

If it helps any, I tried removing the RAM to see if I would get any post error codes and it just didn't give me anything. Tried the same thing with the GPU and once again didn't get anything.

Back
Top Bottom