First build having trouble.

Abscond

Beta member
Hey, I recently decided to go ahead and try out building a computer, I've read many guides/forums to help understand and learn how. So the other day I got the parts and put it all together following the guides I read online and the guides I got with the parts. But when I boot up the computer, the monitor, mouse, and my keyboard don't get any signal/power. I tried different monitors and keyboards but they still aren't working. Everything inside the case gets power though. My sound card lights up, my graphics card gets power, my fans work, and the motherboard is getting power but I'm too noob to figure out the problem. I would just like to know if anyone has any tips to figure out the problem. Or is there a place I can take it to have someone get it running. I know about geek squad but I don't know if they do what I need. Any help would be awesome.

Heres the parts if it is a compatibility problem that I am unaware of.

PSU - Antec Truepower Trio 650 Watt
MB - EVGA NForce 680i SLI
CPU - Intel Core2 Duo 2.66GHz
RAM - Corsair XMS2
HardDrive - Maxtor SATA11/300
Graphics - EVGA e-Geforce 8699 GTS
Sound - Creative Fatal1ty
Drive - Sony DVD Drive

First, are you getting any beep codes from your motherboard?
Second, Maxtor hard drives suck.
Third, what the hell is a EVGA e-Geforce 8699 GTS? Never heard of it and i don't think I will ever see one.
Is your Hard drive Powering On?

No beep codes. I dont like my hard drive either but it was $40. And I cant tell if the hard drive is on, I feel it vibrating so I just figured it was on haha. And the EVGA eGforce is 8600 not 8699, 9 is too close to 0 on the keyboard.

Umm you have a 680I LOL. No beep codes it has a built in LCD for error codes.

By any chance is your Keyboard a PS2 plug in? If so your probally getting error code 25 on the lcd. Pull off the side panel and turn it on. You'll see a green light underneath the graphics card at the end of the card. It will stop were the error is. You won't get any signal because thats before it beeps for a post to get into the bios.

I'm willing to bet thats your problem! If thats the code you are getting you need to get a usb keyboard. I had the same problem from time to time with my wireless keyboard/mouse combo because the one in was a ps2 and it would hang up.

If thats not the error code post up what the LCD says.

Umm you have a 680I LOL. No beep codes it has a built in LCD for error codes.

By any chance is your Keyboard a PS2 plug in? If so your probally getting error code 25 on the lcd. Pull off the side panel and turn it on. You'll see a green light underneath the graphics card at the end of the card. It will stop were the error is. You won't get any signal because thats before it beeps for a post to get into the bios.

I'm willing to bet thats your problem! If thats the code you are getting you need to get a usb keyboard. I had the same problem from time to time with my wireless keyboard/mouse combo because the one in was a ps2 and it would hang up.

If thats not the error code post up what the LCD says.
sounds write
also make sure your monitor is connected properly
and usb key bored deff try cuz ps2 didnt work when i build mine...
go figure

Umm the only other thing I can think of and i'm not sure if this would prevent it from posting would depend on your cpu possibly. Not sure. It ships with a old bios revision that does not have the 1333FSB cpu's configured. So if you have a E6750 1333FSB you may have to borrow a 1066FSB chip to get it to boot. Then you would need to update to P30 for the 1333FSB support.

Again i'm not sure if a 1333FSB chip would boot or not with the older bios.

The PS2 problem is a common among the Evga 680I boards.

If your running a E6700 and a USB keyboard my next guess would be either bad memory/board or cpu. Cpu is unlikely but it happened to me DOA on my first build.

Bad memory you'd have to borrow some or try some other memory out. Like I said though just give me the error code that will make things so much easier. Thank Evga for making diagnostics so easy! ;)

Back
Top Bottom