First build, going to be used for music production. Tips and opinions???

MrDillinger

Beta member
http://secure.newegg.com/WishList/PublicWishDetail.aspx?WishListNumber=8787874

So I'm planning on saving some cash to build a PC this summer. This is my first, so everything I picked was based on reviews and research. I'm pretty much new to building. Although I'm not a complete idiot, alot of my questions are prolly going to sound pretty stupid to a lot of you experienced guys.

My computer's mainly going to be used for music production...Other than that, no more than going on the internet to check facebook/myspace, and sharing my music. So a bad ass video card isn't really necessary.

I do use alot of my DAW's effects/vsts, so even though I'm using an external audio interface, a good soundcard would be good. I know I can always upgrade in the future, so I'm no looking for the PIMPEST sound card atm.
At the moment I have a USB audio interface, which I cannot use because it's not compatible with my current pc. I plan on upgrading to a firewire audio interface, if I can get my build complete.

For compatibility and memory, I'm prolly going to go with 64bit Windows XP, and if I ever feel like it in the future, I'll get vista.

So what do you think? Suggestions? I'm wondering if I can get away with a cheaper processor or mobo for recording. One thing I do need from a mobo is a firewire port though.

I'm much of a media oriented person like yourself. Mainly filmmaking but I also do some music production. You are missing a video card in that build. I would recommend something like a GTX 260 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814143140 . Good deal with the rebate. I don't know much about amd since I'm more Intel knowledgeable but that processor/motherboard combo seems right. Also if you are to get a gtx 260, you will be needing a more powerful power supply, somewhere above 500watts or as quoted from the specifications of the card "525W PCI Express-compliant system power supply with a combined 12V current rating of 38A or more*". I am not as experienced as most of the people on this forum but these are just my suggestions.

As far as he video card goes, couldn't I just use the on board video chipset? Or does on board audio/video not work that way?...

Like I said, I'm pretty new to this :/

If your going into music production, and soley for that purpose, I wouldn't go for a Creative card at all, but it will still work. A creative card is more a gaming card, that just has media wrapped around it.

You can use the onboard video if it has one, but this will still slow the CPU down. I would still buy a dedicated card.

You wouldn't need one as powerful as the 260 though if you weren't going to game at all...

The onboard video should be fine for what you want to do.

The only thing out of place is the power supply. You should not skimp on this as it could be considered the most important part of the build.

This should be fine.

Thanks for the help guys.

If I do save up enough cash, I'm most likely going to get a decent graphics card. Not a high end one though. I am into graphics design/photoshop, but mostly as a hobby. A video card is sort of a low priority at the moment. Trying to keep it around 700$, no more than 800$.

But I guess I can dish out another 15$ for 100 extra watts!

I'm still deciding if I still need a sound card at all. I already have a USB audio interface [this one: http://www.presonus.com/products/Detail.aspx?ProductId=53 I plan on upgrading to firewire]. Couldn't I just use that? It would save me some money to spend on a decent video card.

Back
Top Bottom