Go Back   Computer Forums > General Computing > Hardware
Click Here to Login
Join Computer forums Today

Old 10-03-2012, 04:28 PM   #11
Solid State Member

Default Re: First build ever, please help!

When I add all of that up it is only about 325. If you are willing to spend more you can probably get a much better computer.

Motherboard: A little cheap for a motherboard but not terrible. If you want you can stick with this.

CPU: From what I have read about this cpu is that it is one of the best cpus for the money. Also supposedly really good for overclocking if you ever got a cooler and everything in the future. Stick with this.

Case: Cases aren't a huge deal and all you really have to do when building a entry level computer like this is the form factor for the mother board. This case will work fine and I wouldn't worry about paying more for a different one.

Power supply: The one thing that I looked for when I built my computer was a reputable brand. I have never heard of this brand. Also with this system you do not need 880 watts. something closer to 600 would be fine. My recommendation would be http://www.amazon.com/Corsair-Certif...er+supply+600w

Graphics card: This card is probably not going to hardly be worth the money. The memory is not all that matters, it is mostly about the chip set. I cannot explain how they work as they are one of the hardest parts in a computer to determine which is better than the other. However, they scale very nicely with price, as in the more it costs the better it is. I would recommend a 550ti and it should allow you to play on fairly high settings and isnt that expensive. Amazon.com: EVGA GeForce GTX 550 Ti FPB 1024 MB GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 2DVI/Mini-HDMI SLI Ready Graphics Card, 01G-P3-1556-KR: Electronics

together this is about 400$ if you make the changes I said. Also you forgot about an optical drive because the case does not come with it. here is one Amazon.com: LG Electronics GH24NS90B 24 X SATA Super Multi DVD+/-RW Internal Drive - Bulk without Software - Black: Electronics

And lastly a hard drive if you cant use the one from the laptop (I have no idea if you can) Amazon.com: Western Digital Caviar Blue 500 GB SATA III 7200 RPM 16 MB Cache Bulk/OEM Desktop Hard Drive - WD5000AAKX: Electronics
This is a good brand so is reliable with keeping your drive from getting destroyed. It is only 500gb if you want more than you can spend a little more. I personally have only used about 70 gbs on my hard drive since I got it about a year ago but I dont download movies or music.

In total this would cost you about 480$

Glendor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 05:18 PM   #12
Baseband Member

Thanks so much. And the motherboad, I have a 500$. So what one do you recommend?

computernoob1000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 05:24 PM   #13
Baseband Member

Because the Cd dives and hardrive I don't need right away.
Old 10-03-2012, 08:10 PM   #14
Solid State Member

Default Re: First build ever, please help!

ok well then here is a suggestion. Amazon.com: Gigabyte Intel Z68 ATX DDR3 2133 LGA 1155 Motherboard GA-Z68A-D3H-B3: Electronics

I dont really know a lot about boards. This is a decent brand just like the other one but is ATX form factor instead of micro ATX so it has more slots. It might be easier to work with as well. I do not know if you will see any performance boost over the othe however.

Also can you use tigerdirect? maybe some of those prices are better.
Glendor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 03:10 AM   #15
Baseband Member

I am not sure. Wouldn't mind trying. Just can use new egg because of the 2 day shipping I have to get.